Santa Marta Travel Answers

change location

Bus from Santa Marta to Cartagena

by diazvaldez Online Now Nov 27, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Hi, I´d like to know if there is a direct, non stop bus from Santa Marta to Cartagena? How long it takes?
is there a web site with the buses time tables?
where is the bus terminal located in Santa Marta?
I´m planning to do the trip around january 5th 2013, is that period high season? do i need to buy the ticket in advance?
is it safe to travel by bus??
Thanks.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Bus from Santa Marta to Cartagena

by davidjo Online Now Nov 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Yes, there is a bus service (Berlinastur 3 1/2 hrs) but perhaps you should consider a more comfortable trip by a/c van for around 50k pesos per person and they will pick you up and drop you at the place of your choice at either end of your trip. Cochetur seems to be a reliable company.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mircaskirca's Profile Photo

Re: Bus from Santa Marta to Cartagena

by mircaskirca Online Now Nov 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Hi!

It is perfectly safe to travel by bus, but as @davidjo already suggested, it is faster and more comfortable taking a van. There are a few companies offering shuttle service between Santa Marta – Barranquilla – Cartagena in air conditioned vans seating 8-12 people. I took a trip from Cartagena to Santa Marta. The cost was around COP 50.000 (January 2009) though the price might went up since then. Still, by the time you pay for a taxi in Santa Marta, the bus ticket and another taxi in Cartagena, you likely will be saving almost nothing.

I read good reviews about Mar Sol and also in my hotel in Cartagena I was recommended their service. Mar Sol runs an hourly door to door van service from 6am until 4pm. What you do is call them, give your name, telephone number and tell where you are. To be certain I had a place, I called them a day earlier. The van came to my hotel at the appointed time. Later we picked up a few more passangers. In Barranquilla we moved to another van which continue the journey to Santa Marta. As requested, the driver dropped me off at the bus terminal.

Mar Sol phone numbers in Cartagena: +57 5 656 4192 and +57 300 805 6659.

Have a nice and safe trip!

mira

• Re: Bus from Santa Marta to Cartagena

by diazvaldez Online Now Nov 29, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Thank´s a lot. cheers

• Re: Bus from Santa Marta to Cartagena

by marceladiaz Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Hi everyone, I want to share with you an interesting search engine, useful to find buses through Colombia, it is: http://andestransit.com/ go there, do a simply query about your route and it will show you lots of useful information such as: depart time, arrives time, companies that can help you, total distance, total time (approximately). Just check it out and if you have any question let me know. Enjoy South America!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines