Santa Marta Travel Answers

change location
grandmaR's Profile Photo

Recommendations for a Day in Santa Marta

by grandmaR Online Now Jul 12, 2008 at 12:00 PM

We will be in Santa Marta on a small ship from 10 am to 5 pm on about the 14th of November. I would really like to visit friends in Cartegena, but I gather that would be difficult to do.

I would like to see local historic type places, including lighthouses and cemeteries and museums. Is Santa Marta a good place to do that? The only tour mentioned from the ship is the Santa Marta City Tour and Folkloric Show which apparently includes:

"The cathedral, built in four years later by the Dominicans, was named the Church of Santa Ana, and historians described the walls of the cathedral as "built with the barril boards carried by the river when it swelled." The Customs House is an architectural monument, beautifully restored and preserved as the Bank of the Republic's Gold Museum. It exhibits pre-Columbian artifacts and includes a small yet priceless collection of Tayrona gold and pottery pieces. San Pedro de Alejandrino Village dates back to the 17th century. It is a country estate outside the city limits and has been the setting for many significant events in Colombian history. In 1830, don Joaquin Mier y Benitez offered his home to the Great Liberator Simon Bolivar—a refuge for this last days. It was later declared a National Monument by the Colombian Government. Not only has the interior of the house been preserved, but the many gardens have also been restored to their former glory by National Tourism Corporation. El Rodadero is a lively strip of hotel and apartments built around the Gaira Bay, where the beaches are particularly lovely. You will stop at a local hotel for a special folkloric show, soft drinks and beer, with a chance to shop for handicrafts before returning to the ship."

Could we perhaps do this on our own? Could we hire a taxi to take us around? (I don't walk terribly well.)

I hear that the fishing village is a good place to scuba from. I don't know if a scuba excursion here would be possible within that time frame. We are certified, but have not dived in awhile, so would need a short refresher.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Recommendations for a Day in Santa Marta

by teatom Online Now Sep 2, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Your best bet is to go straight to TAGANGA, just beside Sta marta. It is a quiet bay. Diving is difficult as there are very strong currents. Also go for Buritaca (50km to the north) there is a river flowing into the sea. Good Luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines