Santa Marta Travel Answers

change location

Safety in Santa Marta

by Gigipi Online Now Apr 19, 2004 at 5:12 PM

Hello, I am planning my next vacation to Cartagena, but would like to visit Santa Marta as well. I would like to know how safe is Santa Marta, and the trip from Barranquilla to Santa Martha. If anyone can tell me...as this is my first trip to Colombia. Thanks

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Re: Safety in Santa Marta

by PAENJSG12004 Online Now Apr 20, 2004 at 8:02 AM

SANTA MARTA IS ACTUALLY ONE OF MANY SAFE PLACES IN COLOMBIA..I RECOMMEND YOU ONLY FLY TO STA. MARTA..THE ROADS ARE NOT TO GREAT TO TRAVEL ON AND IT IS JUST SAFER NOW A DAYS TO GO AHEAD AND FLY..I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK.. AND ENJOY YOUR TRIP..UNFORTUNATELY NEWS OVER EXAGERATE THEIR NEWS ON COLOMBIA AND OTHER PLACES AND SCARE MANY PEOPLE OFF..

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Safety in Santa Marta

by PAENJSG12004 Online Now Apr 20, 2004 at 8:34 AM

I AM PLANNING A TRIP TO CARTAGENA AT THE END OF MAY...ONE THING I WILL TELL YOU IS THAT IT IS VERY, VERY, VERY HOT IN BARANQUILLA AND CARTAGENA...BUT IT IS VERY LOVELY.. I AM FROM COLOMBIA MYSELF...

• RE: Safety in Santa Marta

by debg2200 Online Now Mar 17, 2007 at 9:57 AM

I go to santamarta frequintly and its supper safe. there is a bus from barranquilla that is a lot of fun.it takes a about 6 hours [3 hours columbian time].I strongly recomend taganga its a small fishing town only a couple miles from santamarta. It seams to be a mixing pot 4 the world, you can find people that speek english there if your spanish is not good.I will be there this april on the 3rd. hope you have fun

• the___gecko's Profile Photo

Re: Safety in Santa Marta

by the___gecko Online Now May 13, 2009 at 10:05 PM

santa marta is safe but cartagena is not. i got robbed at knife point in cartagena the colonial town is safe but its shady around its perimeters.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines