Santa Margherita Ligure Travel Answers

change location
carrieb12's Profile Photo

Traveling with 12 year old

by carrieb12 Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Hello All,
I am so excited about our trip in June 2012. I am drawn to Santa Margherita, but I am not sure that this is the place to stay. We plan on staying in a central location for 6 nights and explore the surrounding areas. I want to be in a place that in the evenings we can explore the city by walking around a piazza, talking with locals, and eating yummy gelato. My daughter is 12 years old and I want her to remember this trip forever, so please advise if Santa Margherita is the place to be for us. Also, I am a teacher so we are on a budget!!!
Thanks you for any help you can provide.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • nicolaitan's Profile Photo

Re: Traveling with 12 year old

by nicolaitan Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 1:07 PM

sml is a great village, we have returned four times over they years. popular beach, lots of hotels of varying cost, relatively reasonable pricing, young crowd on the central park in the eveings.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Santa Margherita is not 'budget', in order to save money I suggest Rapallo which is very close and cheaper. From Rapallo there is a bus running to Santa Margherita ending at Portofino so no problem going there to have a walk.
    No problem also about ice-cream, actually in Rapallo they could cost less or bigger for same proce, same good quality.

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 3:48 PM

there is a train running to from rapallo to s.margharita - i seem to remember from staying in rapallo not much going on at night - maybe we never find the right place - i haven't actually stayed in S.margharita but it is much bigger so of course more going on

but all those little towns up and down that railway line are lovely - and the trains frequent and cheap - (for portofino you have to catch the bus from s.margharita but i was underwhelmed by portofino - except the walk i took over the hills from san fruttuoso to portofino, that was amazing)

so I suggest you find a cheapish place to stay and you can't really go wrong - for instance we wandered around Chiaveri and it seemed very lively - i sat down in the square as evening got on and got vibed because i was sitting in the seat a group of old men always sat in lol) and once you have a centre then you hop on the train and go and explore the other places - one evening in camogli would be lovely - the little towns are all very close together

i have stayed a month at Bogliasco and that was charming but too small to be lively at night - we went into genoa if we wanted lively - or to chiaveri

• carrieb12's Profile Photo

by carrieb12 Online Now Nov 27, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, these post really help. I just want to make sure that we are in the right area. I have found a few vacation rentals in Rapallo & Santa Margherita so I am checking with the owners on cost and details.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Nov 27, 2011 at 9:11 AM

rapallo is probably cheaper than sml, but hardly as nice a place to stay. camogli is another great village but small. chiavari is a town we have driven thru several times, long promenade and highway along the water, also a lot of hotels. and all reasonably close to sml on the train.

• markschaaf's Profile Photo

by markschaaf Online Now Nov 29, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Because staying somewhere is always so personal it is very difficult to give advice on where to stay. What I like to do is check out the hotels in the town you are interested in for location and prices. Then look at the same thing in the nearby towns and compare them, sometimes you may find after looking you may like the other town better. You can do some research by using google maps because you can use it to find all kinds using it. Restaurants is a great thing to find using google maps. All you have to do is type in restaurants near and put in the address of a place you are thinking about staying and you will get all kinds of places to eat. You can do this for just about everything you can think of all you have to do it type it into google maps.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Santa Margherita Ligure