Santa Margherita Ligure Travel Answers

change location
bettyo70's Profile Photo

What are your favorite hikes near Camogli/ Santa Margherita / San Fruttuoso?

by bettyo70 Online Now May 10, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Hi Everyone,

So we have set our September trip to Liguria with a 6-night base in Camogli... WOO-HOO!

One hike that we will do for sure is the Levanto-to-Monterosso hike.

Aside from the well-known Cinque Terre hikes, what are some hikes with beautiful views NOT TO BE MISSED??

1) I think we will skip the Santa Margherita-to-Portofino hike because it sounds a bit unpleasant and I want to AVOID SEEING HIGHWAYS whenever possible.

2) I heard that there are great hikes above Camogli, San Fruttuoso and Santa Margherita (perhaps one of them involved SAN LORENZO... not sure if I'm confusing the name of the area).

3) Is there a PARK in the area that is definitely worth seeing? Think I heard Portofino area had a cool park.

4) If you mention a hike here, please also let me know if it is difficult or moderate because we'll be travelling with some non-hikers as well.

Thank you / Grazie mille for your advice! And Happy Mother's Day to all!!!

Quote & Answer
18 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: What are your favorite hikes near Camogli/ Santa Margherita / San Fruttuoso?

by cgf Online Now May 10, 2009 at 9:22 AM

from Camogli (it's a good base) you could go to Levanto, Monterosso, Vernazza, Manarola, Corniglia, Riomaggiore by train as (like for SM) parking it would be difficoult and expensive. by train you could go to Vernazza and back from Manarola and no need to go back to pickup the car.

like on other post... have a look at here
    ferroviedellostato.it/homepa...

btw from Camogli you could go to S.Fruttuso by sea.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bettyo70's Profile Photo

Re: What are your favorite hikes near Camogli/ Santa Margherita / San Fruttuoso?

by bettyo70 Online Now May 10, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Thanks, cgf! Definitely we plan to use both trains and ferries for this area.

I am more interested in knowing about the LESSER-KNOWN HIKES around the hills above Camogli... the rural hikes around San Fruttuoso, etc.

Like to discover the towns in the hills besides the well-known towns of Cinque Terre. Cheers!

• effeti's Profile Photo

by effeti Online Now May 10, 2009 at 11:43 AM

he site of the Portofino park is unfortunately only in italian, but you can have a general idea of the trails from this map: parcoportofino.it/page.aspx?...

Have good hikes!
    Ciao
    Francesco

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now May 10, 2009 at 1:44 PM

when we were staying in Bogliasco we went with some friends to Camogli

they walked from Camogli to S.Fruttuoso - with the beautiful monastery - and on to Portofino

we took a boat to S. Fruttuoso and walked to Portofino

we found it very stiff walking indeed - it took us 3 hours

they are fitter and said the Camogli to S.Fruttuso leg was harder - and all up it took them 3 hours

there were by paths where you could head up to other places up in the hills

it was all well signposted

by bettyo70 Online Now May 10, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Grazie, Francesco and craic!

The good thing about hiking uphill is that you feel less guilty after all the big meals you ate!

I will investigate the park maps too... thank you.

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now May 10, 2009 at 2:46 PM

the trouble with the walk to Portofino is it is extremely up hill one way - and extremely downhill at the end

my legs hurt soooo much

but our friends pulled up fresh and fit after twice as far

then we caught the bus to S.Margharita and the train back to Bogliasco

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now May 10, 2009 at 2:51 PM

oh i should say we were provided with leaflets and maps for the walk at the place we were staying - and found our way all right

i never noticed if there was a tourist info place at camogli (PRETTY town)but one would think there would be

the ferry was delightfully vague and italian - the schedule was fairly random - one just turned up at the pier and paid an aged gent - it;s a local tranpsort service, people hauled on bags of shopping and mattresses and lord knows what

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now May 10, 2009 at 2:51 PM

oh i should say we were provided with leaflets and maps for the walk at the place we were staying - and found our way all right

i never noticed if there was a tourist info place at camogli (PRETTY town)but one would think there would be

the ferry was delightfully vague and italian - the schedule was fairly random - one just turned up at the pier and paid an aged gent - it;s a local tranpsort service, people hauled on bags of shopping and mattresses and lord knows what

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now May 10, 2009 at 2:54 PM

and it doesn't go that often and it doesn't go in bad weather (small boat) - you might like to glance at my San Fruttuoso page - and at different times of the year it goes at different times

by bettyo70 Online Now May 10, 2009 at 3:10 PM

"the ferry was delightfully vague and italian... people hauled on bags of shopping and mattresses and lord knows what"

ha, ha. "delightfully vague and italian"... so true and wonderful!

Yes, I will check out your San Fruttuoso pages...

Did you ever get to eat at DA GIOVANNI in SF? I heard that if you decide to eat there, they will pick you up in their boat. Don't know if they still do that. Apparently they are outside, right by the water.

Cheers! --Betty

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now May 10, 2009 at 3:53 PM

our lodging was all found - we eat on the premises

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now May 10, 2009 at 3:55 PM

oh that must be the restaurant we noticed to the left of the monastery - it was closed when we were there

by bettyo70 Online Now May 10, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Did you have a favorite place during your trip to Liguria?

Another VT person enjoyed visiting the silk factories in Zoagli.

Noli looks very pretty too.

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now May 10, 2009 at 4:35 PM

now,there is a question!!!!!

the old quarter in Genoa is a favourite haunt of mine - taking aperativo at Bertos

and camogli itself - its truly charming

AND you will laugh - top for me on the last trip was the nonnas with their grandchildren feeding nuts to the squirrels in the park in Nervi

i had never seen squirrels before

Nervi is a pretty enough town - more a resort town for the Italians because it has the wonderful micro climate - many big villas - right next to the station is the park with numerous squirrels

just knock two nuts together - Nervi is on the train line between Camogli and genoa

then you could do the marine promenade - rather pleasant - about 2 k long? - from Nervi (access behind the station down a steepish path)

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now May 10, 2009 at 4:37 PM

oh - and going to Quarto dei Mille - which is just an ordinary little town - a suburb of genoa these days - but it used to be Quarto del mare - and changed its name because garibaldi and the 1000 set sail for sicily from there

a plaque on the roadway - I love history so went to view the famous beach

by bettyo70 Online Now May 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I have never heard of Nervi! I'm from NYC originally... and there are tons of squirrels all over there and all over the Eastern coast of the U.S. The squirrels in Manhattan are actually quite aggressive... LOL!

We were thinking of skipping Genoa after hearing of their many "seedy" areas and the fact that people who have gone there complained of being cheated of their change when paying for something. Also, on vacation I tend to like to skip the bigger cities.

Cheers! --Betty

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now May 10, 2009 at 5:29 PM

so squirrels are nothing to you!!!

to me they were an enchantment

I have spent a bit of time in Genoa and really really like it - but I have friends there - that always makes a difference i think

• rsm71's Profile Photo

by rsm71 Online Now May 18, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Something on Genova:
    If you're looking for museums, old buildings and a truly big historical centre to walk through... keep one day to visit Genova!
    If you're looking for seaside promenades and corners with a view, you cannot miss Boccadasse and Nervi, and both are part of the town of Genova (eastern side).

So... don't skip it! Nervi is maybe half an hour by train from Camogli and the station is where you want to start from!

Ciao,
    Ric

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Santa Margherita Ligure