Santa Margherita Ligure Travel Answers

change location

Train tickets questions

by TravelTwee Online Now Jan 7, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Hello everyone,

I wanted to know if I need to buy a separate Cinque Terre day pass including the train rides from each village if I buy a roundtrip ticket from Santa Margherita to Riomaggiore and then work my way back towards Monterosso before coming back to Santa Margherita.

So this is the route: Santa Margherita- Riomaggiore-Manarola-Corniglia-Vernanzza-Monterosso- Santa Margherita.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • swissfondue's Profile Photo

Re: Train tickets questions

by swissfondue Online Now Jan 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM

There is a Cinque Terre card which allows you to travel 2nd class between Levanto and La Spezia and the five villages in between. I used a Eurail pass so only needed to purchase a pass for the hiking trails (4 Euro) If you are planning to walk the entire trail I would suggest that you take the train to Monterosso and walk back towards Riomaggiore. The trails between Monterosso and Corniglia are the steepest and most difficult. Maybe a good idea to get the hard stuff out of the way first. The whole of the Cinque Terre is stunning.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jahty's Profile Photo

Re: Train tickets questions

by jahty Online Now Jan 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM

I know that a round trip between all the 5 towns costs only about 5 euro. I'm not sure if you will need to buy a local one, but I have bought them every time and have never once been checked. Maybe you should just try running with your ticket and worst case spend the extra and buy it from the conductor. I believe it costs more to hike through all the villages than take the train though. Anyway, enjoy your trip

• Re: Train tickets questions

by TravelTwee Online Now Jan 7, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Thank you for your help.

I'm on a cruise so will not be able to do much hiking, other than on Via dell'Amore.

Since I have to pay for the trail, I guess I might as well pay for the one day pass that includes the train. I think it costs 8 Euros.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Santa Margherita Ligure