Santa Margherita Ligure Travel Answers

change location

TRANSPORTATION

by friendly3330 Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Am going to be here in October and would like to go to the Cinque Terre. Can you tell me the easiest and quickest way to get there? Do not have a car. I only will have a day available to tour these marvelous villages. I want to get to Vernazza for lunch and walk the path from Manarola to Riomaggiore besides exploring these villages. So exciting!!
This is the 3rd trip to Italy for me and I am determined to get there this time. Thank you all for the help.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • globetrott's Profile Photo

Re: TRANSPORTATION

by globetrott Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM

the train is the best option anyway in that area and with a car you would just have 1001 problems ! So take the train, they also have daytickets for 5terre that will include all trains TO and within the 5 villages, some lifts and the entrancefee to the national Park that you are walking through on your path from Vernazza to Manarola.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • loksch's Profile Photo

by loksch Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Above info is excellent....only probel is the one day factor. It will take several hours by train...the the visits to the villages...then the train back. One day is really not enough...but, bus or train from your previous stop is your only alternative for a hired car - expensive.
    Take Care

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 5:16 PM

As the others noted, the train is the only way that makes sense...given your requirements, here's some thoughts.

1. Take the regional train leaving S. Margherita Ligure-Portofino at 07:56 which arrives in Riomaggiore at 8:55. This trip passes all the way to the far end of the Cinque Terre from where you started.

2. See Riomaggiore.

3. Walk from Riomaggiore to Manarola. This is a mile or less, from eyeballing the map.

4. See Manarola.

5. Take the train from Manarola to Vernazza. There are trains at 11:23 and 12:12 (and later), and the trip is only 7-9 minutes. Note that this gives you somewhere about 2.5 to 3 hours in Riomaggiore to Manarola.

6. This puts you in Vernazza in time for lunch...and you aren't in any rush. Walk around and find a likely place.

7. After lunch, either walk around Vernazza more or take the train up to Monterosso...there are trains at 14:29 (maybe too soon) and 15:30 and of course later.

8. Whenever you are ready, hop on a train taking you back to S. Margherita Ligure-Portofino.

The advantage of this program is that it puts the longest train trip in the morning when you have plenty of time. It also puts the walking in the morning before it gets too hot.

The disadvantage is that I have never done this (the closest I've been is to Portovenere just to the south)...so while my program sounds plausible to ME ;-) it would be nice if others looked at it as well ;-) Note that VTer goodfish keeps tabs on the conditions of the walks between the towns (they are susceptible to being washed out in mudslides) so I hope she will join us...

Bill

2 members found this helpful

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 2:44 AM

good answers people - i have only walked from riomaggiore to corniglia (and I took the bus up the hill to save the steep climb) - i was prepared to walk on to vernazza but the husband didn't feel well so we took the train back to rapallo where we were staying
    nazza -
    i don't think i would like to walk the whole way from end to end in one day - maybe i am lazy

the daughter went back the next day and walked from monterosso back to vernazza and she said that walk was a lot harder - made harder by the fact it was quite narrow and there were crowds and crowds of people goofing around

but the villages are so very lovely - and the trains are so very convenient (but not every through train stops at every station, but never mind there is another one coming along soon) that the trip will be worth it no matter how you do it

do validate your train ticket though - the inspectors seem quite frisky on that line - i was fined once on my first trip to italy - and on the next trip i warned friends but the train was coming so they risked not validating and got scooped up

• lynclarke's Profile Photo

by lynclarke Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 4:44 AM

OK- it has been a few years but-yes I have walked the entire trail in one go- and I have walked up into the hills by Volastra and Groppo. Both were sweaty events.... Not what I think you are imagining for a scenic day trip and lunch. (It is a shame you can't stay for at least one night). I think taking the train to Riomaggiore is a good idea. For your first view of the Cinque Terre you will be "wowwed" and want to spend some time there taking photos whle just looking around. There is a photo op every 10 feet. At the top of the trail you can go "around the corner" to the rocky beach and sit there for a morning break while you watching the waves break against the rocks. When you are ready to move, then start the trail- it is an easy stroll over to Manarola. You will see mamas with baby strollers on this part of the trail. Get to Manarola sweatless- spend some time there. If you want to sweat walk up the hill to the plaza at the top. That will get your heart pumping! We spent our week there in Manarola and loved it. Make sure you see the harbor, the little plaza area with built in checkboards into the rock seating benches, and browse the stores. Then take the train to Vernazza. The trail from Manarola to Vernazza is BEAUTIFUL but it is far more "wild" then the first section. I wish I could imbed photos to show you what I mean. Spend time in Vernazza have lunch and browse. The last town Monterosso was far more commercial when I was there. The good news you can go into one of the little stores and buy a baby box of wine and a treat to take down to the beach and watch the fun. The bad news it is far more commercial. Of course, with that said, i have not been there since that big mud flood they had a while back. I just saw heartbreaking photos on the internet. So- my thoughts may be out of date. When you run out of time, hop back on the train and head home. You will love even this tiny glimpse. All effort will be worth it, IMHO.

2 members found this helpful

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM

you missed Corniglia lynclark - oh i did love corniglia

Be the first to rate this answer!

• lynclarke's Profile Photo

by lynclarke Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM

You are right- I was going to mention those crazy stairs- but I thought I was getting too wordy.

• Re: TRANSPORTATION

by friendly3330 Online Now Apr 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Mille Grazie........It sounds like a wonderful plan. Have only 1 day to spend there and we will fit it in. Ciao!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Santa Margherita Ligure