Santa Fe Travel Answers

change location
RStuart05's Profile Photo

Opera Attire???

by RStuart05 Online Now Jul 18, 2011 at 9:42 PM

We attended the Santa Fe Opera 4 years ago. I was surprised last time to see that the dress was pretty casual, and I remember it being cold at the end of the evening. I am wanting to find out if anyone knows what is/ isn't appropriate dress. I will also be bringing my oldest daughter for the first time, so want to make sure to guide her in "what-to-wear".

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Opera Attire???

by bocmaxima Online Now Jul 18, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Santa Fe is generally pretty casual and the opera is no different. Obviously, don't wear jeans and a t-shirt but, past that, it's pretty open. I don't think she'd/you'd be completely out of place wearing a nice dress.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Jul 19, 2011 at 3:58 AM

Colin has given you good advice. Santa Fe is indeed pretty casual but "casual" to the better-heeled there also has a certain style. You may see boot and jeans at the opera but they'd be expensive boots, beautifully-tailored jackets and probably some gorgeous Native American jewelry and hand-made belts.

I did some digging around on this for our last trip (although we ended up not making it to the opera) and I'd err on the side of more versus less. Rather than jeans or capris, I'd go with a nice pair of dress slacks (black is always appropriate) or a flow-y skirt and pretty blouse. Be comfortable by all means - no need for formal wear, although you'll see it - but I'd probably dispense with the usual day-time sightseeing wear, although you'll probably see some of that too. And yes, do bring a sweater or jacket as it can be quite chilly in the evening - especially if there is rain.

Whatever you choose to bring, have it be something you'd wear again for, say, dinner some evening or even some museum sightseeing. Keeping luggage weights/sizes down for flights these days usually involves not bringing anything you'd only wear once! :)

I love Santa Fe - it's my very favorite city!

• RStuart05's Profile Photo

by RStuart05 Online Now Jul 19, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Thank you so much for your response. I hope it will be great. I think it is one of the most beautiful venues.

• Re: Opera Attire???

by artdoctor Online Now Jul 28, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Wonderful choice to go to the Opera here!

People dress in different ways for the opera, and although causal would not be out of place, there are many people who dress up a bit because they enjoy it. The Opera is an opportunity to play with more elegant or fun approach to clothing, and there is definitely an aspect of 'people watching' that goes on.

Yes it does get colder toward the end of the performance: most operas end around midnight, and we are at 7,000 feet+ above sea level, so the nights cool off. Also if we are having monsoons the cold front with those can lower the temperature 25-30 degrees F. in half an hour. However, we do not have humidity, so your experience of the temperature will be different.

One more dress note: it is not uncommon, especially for opening nights of each opera, for people to dress referring to that opera: perhaps a Spanish touch for Carmen, or a more lush, feminine touch for La Boheme. Again, have fun and enjoy your opportunity to play. There is no wrong answer really.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines