Santa Fe Travel Answers

change location

Handicapped Friendly?

by rockyjones Online Now Feb 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I am planning to take my mom who is handicapped to Santa Fe for this coming July 4 holiday. She is wheelchair bound. Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Handicapped Friendly?

by bocmaxima Online Now Feb 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Santa Fe is one of the oldest cities in the country, founded well before the region was part of the United States, so many parts of the town are not handicapped-accessible. The sidewalks are also often narrow and not particularly wheelchair friendly.
    Some of the facilities, such as the Palace of the Governors, is wheelchair friendly, or, at least, is as best I can recall. But then, from what I can recall, other sites, like Loretto Chapel, are not.
    I would go, but I would research it a little. You'll also need to figure out parking if you have a disabled placard. Summer gets a little crazy for parking, and Santa Fe's streets are not the most intuitive, so it would be helpful to know exactly where the parking is.

http://santafe.org/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Handicapped Friendly?

by goodfish Online Now Feb 25, 2011 at 4:22 AM

Colin is correct in that this is the oldest capitol in the US, some of the historic sites and old, preserved buildings can be difficult to access due to their age. You will find things to do, though!

Some of the museums are accessible, such as:

Georgia O'Keeffe Museum:

okeeffemuseum.org/admission-...

Museum of International Folk Art

internationalfolkart.org/vis...

Museum of Contemporary Native Arts

museumsusa.org/museums/info/...

I'm sure there are others as well - I seem to remember that all of the museums on Museum Hill were easy to access. There are 3-4 of them in one location so it makes for easy visiting.

I couldn't find anything through the Chamber of Commerce but Frommer's Santa Fe guide says this:

"Access New Mexico Guide" lists wheelchair accessible hotels, restaurants and attractions throughout the state.Contact the Governor's Commission on Disabilities 505/827-6465/www.gcd.state.nm.us

It also says that more info can be obtained through the Information Center for New Mexicans with Disabilities 505/272-8549

I probably wouldn't recommend trying to do the galleries on Canyon Road. Many of them involve steps and narrow sidewalks/porches, and others are in tight quarters difficult to maneuver a chair through.

Hope this helps!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines