Santa Fe Travel Answers

change location
goodfish's Profile Photo

Santa Fe during Fiesta

by goodfish Online Now Jul 16, 2008 at 1:57 PM

I booked us 6 days in Sept. (Thursday 4th - Tuesday 9th) without realizing that it's Fiesta! At least 4 days of the 6, anyway. How insane will the crowds/traffic be during that time, and will it mostly be concentrated in and around the Plaza area? We plan to daytrip out to Chaco, Bandelier and Taos - should we try to do that during the weekend, to avoid the masses, and then spend Monday and Tuesday in town when Fiesta is over and it's quieter? Or will there be areas of town that aren't overrun? We don't want to avoid the event entirely as there'll be some fun things to see but crowds can be wearing...

Actually, if anyone has tips on a few things we should see during the Fiesta, that'd be great. We'll probably skip Zozobra as that sounds like a zoo but what else is fun??

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • prometheus's Profile Photo

Re: Santa Fe during Fiesta

by prometheus Online Now Jul 19, 2008 at 2:13 PM

I haven't been there during fiesta, but you're right, Zozobra is a total zoo.
    While in SFe, go out to Shidoni foundary and see the impressive outdoor sculpture garden. It's on Bishops Lodge road about 5 miles north of the plaza. Also go to Neddra Matucci gallery and have a look at the great outdoor sculpture garden there. It's on Paseo de Peralta not too far from the state capitol.
    Happy trails...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dogma505's Profile Photo

Re: Santa Fe during Fiesta

by dogma505 Online Now Feb 21, 2009 at 7:10 PM

There is so much to do that time of year and get away from the crowds. You may want to google Art Tours NM and see if any of the nearby local villages are having an art tour - many of these are really quite wonderful. Also check on google for any Feast Days at the local Pueblos. You can google Eight Northern Pueblos and it should pull up a calendar for you. Feast Days include local dances at the Pueblos and if you get a bit of a conversation going with a local you will often be invited into their home to eat with them but please note it is customary to "eat and run" as they will continue to move people through their dining room. One of my favorite getaways is to go to Mora and go raspberry picking the Salman Ranch followed by a visit to the local Alpaca Farm and lunch at the ever quirky and tacky " Spic and Span" Diner in Las Vegas. This is about an hour and 20 minutes from Santa Fe. Feel free to go to my web site to check out the local photos from this area. http://web.me.com/julienmcroberts You will need to call the Salman Ranch first to see if the raspberries are ready for picking. Google Salman Ranch. Finally for a fabulous sunset and amazing dinner visit the revamped 4 star Encantado Restaurant in Tesuque. Most of all have a great time in Santa Fe..... the childrens animal parade is cute and worth checking out. Avoid Zoozoobra like the plague and if you really have to see it turn on any local channel for the broadcast.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines