Santa Fe Travel Answers

change location

requesting advice on best areas of town in which to rent a casita

by Dianne515 Online Now Aug 27, 2006 at 1:11 PM

My husband and I are planning on renting a casita in Santa Fe for two weeks next May. We have found many wonderful ones online, but we are not sure which areas of town we should be looking at. When choosing between a casita on Artist Rd., Hill Street, Canyon Rd. Agua Fria St, Acequia Madre, Gonzalea St., West San Francisco, Guadalupe St., what advice could you give a couple who is looking for a charming, pituresque neighborhood that's within walking distance of the main Plaza? (We're big walkers, so walking distance could be a couple of miles even as long as there was a safe place for pedestrians to walk.) There was even one listed as being two blocks from Kaune's Market.
Thanks for any help that you could give in advance.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • prometheus's Profile Photo

RE: requesting advice on best areas of town in which to rent a casita

by prometheus Online Now Sep 10, 2006 at 8:07 PM

Canyon Rd, W. San Fran, and Guadalupe are close to the plaza. The others I'm not familiar with. You can check their location on Mapquest. Kaune's is near the Capital bldg and is about a 6 min walk to the plaza.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • beatchfre's Profile Photo

RE: requesting advice on best areas of town in which to rent a casita

by beatchfre Online Now Oct 19, 2006 at 7:42 AM

I used to live on Canyon Road - that would be my first choice. Its not 1107 Canyon Rd by any chance? All of those places (that I know) are within a couple of miles of the plaza, or at least what I would consider walking distance. I'm not familiar with Acequia Madre, Gonzalea St, Hill Street, or Artist Road.

My girlfriend's family live off of Agua Fria. Quite a nice looking, historic road, and area, but there are some parts of it that they consider "ghetto". We couldn't afford any of the house there - 50 year old dumps sell for400k minimum.

I'm not familiar with Acequia Madre, Gonzalea St, Hill Street, or Artist Road.

Go with Canyon Road for the best "tourist experience". As I said, I lived there when I moved to Santa Fe from Glasgow (Scotland) a few years ago. It's walking distance to the plaza, the walk along Canyon Road is great, and there are a couple of really nice bars/restaurants on it. Every second house is an art gallery.

If you want a taste of the real Santa Fe, go with Agua Fria.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines