Santa Fe Travel Answers

change location
SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Santa Fe to Taos

by SFHulaGIrl Online Now Oct 18, 2005 at 3:44 PM

Are there buses and/or trains from Santa Fe to Taos? If so, what is the approximate length of time and fare for them? Would Taos be an easy daytrip from Santa Fe without a car?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • prometheus's Profile Photo

RE: Santa Fe to Taos

by prometheus Online Now Oct 19, 2005 at 4:29 PM

There are no trains. I don't know about buses, but there would be few if any. It's 67 miles from SFe to Taos.
    It's not an easy daytrip w/o a car..you'll need one.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

by AlbuqRay Online Now Oct 23, 2005 at 9:11 AM

Tina, Pro is right about no train and a bus would only get you to downtown Taos. Many of the things to see around Taos are a few miles away. My first thought was to get a tour. I googled Santa Fe and Taos tours. http://www.outbacktours.com/index.php looks good. They certainly cover the right places. If you do end up renting a car instead, be sure to stop in Dixon and do some wine tasting there.

• prometheus's Profile Photo

by prometheus Online Now Oct 24, 2005 at 2:11 PM

To see if there are any tours, go to the La Fonda hotel lobby in Santa Fe. There is a lot of literature there and check with the hotel info desk.

• emstone's Profile Photo

by emstone Online Now Feb 11, 2006 at 10:46 PM

I would stay away from taking a bus for a day trip. If you do want to do it, Faust's is the company that has the shuttle and you can google their phone number.

Instead I would just rent a car in santa fe for the day. You can get one for about30. Part of the taos experience is being able to take the low road home which is not as direct but stunning and goes through some little towns where you might like to stop and have a look around. Also, if you get to taos (town) and want to go to the ski area you will be stuck without a car (or at least will have to find another bus). Finally, the rio grand gorge bridge is really cool and I doubt any buses go out there. Same goes for the eco-houses or whatever they are called.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines