Santa Fe Travel Answers

change location

Off the beaten path

by jamccann Online Now Jul 5, 2005 at 2:47 PM

We will be in Santa Fe July 22 to 29, 2006. Does anyone know any secrets that only the locals know. We live in Victoria BC and I'm always sending people to places that aren't in the guide books.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • kymbanm's Profile Photo

RE: Off the beaten path

by kymbanm Online Now Jul 6, 2005 at 4:10 PM

Unfortunately, I don't know Santa Fe well enough to help you much ....... if you can add a spa day, Ten Thousand waves is wonderful! AND, if you are driving, take the 'Turquoise Trail' into the town of Madrid for quirky, sort of hippie-ish fun.

Thats my limit for now :) Hope it helps,
    Kymba

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • prometheus's Profile Photo

by prometheus Online Now Jul 7, 2005 at 1:21 PM

The Randal Davies Audubon center at the end of upper Canyon Road is very nice. There is a 1 mile nature walk and the grounds of the artist's home is very picturesque. You may see landscape painters there. There is a visitors center too.
    Don't miss Shidoni foundary. Call them to see when they will be doing a bronze pour. Noon on Saturday was usual.
    Take in the open air Santa Fe Opera if you can. go to their web site for schedule and tickets. The best seats tend to sell out a few months beforehand.

• queencreekfreak's Profile Photo

by queencreekfreak Online Now Sep 10, 2005 at 10:37 AM

One secret that I can share is, if you are buying jewelry the shops are most expensive, the Native American street vendors on the square are less expensive and the jewelry at the Santa Fe Flea market is the best price by far.

• Franagain's Profile Photo

by Franagain Online Now Jan 1, 2006 at 9:11 AM

We locals don't tell our secrets! We told secrets in 1970 and look what happened... Santa Fe looks like Walt Disney designed it.

On a friendlier note, what are your interests? We have some very good (and some very bad) art here, in museums and galleries. We also have some excellent restaurants. The outlying pueblos are interesting to some. Rancho de las Golindrinas (in La Cienega, about 6 miles south of town) is fabulous. Take a moonlight horseback ride at the Broken Saddle. Take a river raft trip from Taos on the Rio Grande. There's usually good music somewhere. (July 26-29 is too short a visit.)

• queencreekfreak's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Off the beaten path

by queencreekfreak Online Now Jan 1, 2006 at 9:44 AM

Happy New Year to you from the Phoenix area. I've had guests in town for a week and have been trying to show them some fun and interesting places here. I need to set up a few new pages about our area, especially Queen Creek and Apache Junction. I love photography and this is a good place for it when I can find the time. We have good and bad art around here also but the variety makes it unique. I love flea markets. Albuquerque and Santa Fe have two of my favorite markets. I can't help but give away the local secrets. I just hope more people share their travel experiences. This is why I love Virtual Tourist. It's much better than touched up brochures.

• kymbanm's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Off the beaten path

by kymbanm Online Now Jan 1, 2006 at 9:46 AM

All Hail VT!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines