Santa Fe Travel Answers

change location
Pukku's Profile Photo

Photography in Santa Fe, New Mexico

by Pukku Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I would like to know if it is permitted to photograph museums and churches, and local people in Santa Fe, NM.
Any sights that are forbidden to take pictures? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Photography in Santa Fe, New Mexico

by goodfish Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I took photos inside the churches: no problem. I do not remember if I was allowed to use flash - which I wouldn't recommend anyway so as to not disturb persons there for prayer.

As far as the locals go, people anywhere really don't like to have cameras trained on them - ESPECIALLY those from our indigenous tribes or children. That's considered to be very disrespectful, and it makes parents of small children very nervous. If you purchase a handmade item, say, from one of the artisans at the Palace of the Governors, you might ask politely if you might take their photo. Otherwise, shots of crowds, people from a distance, or public performers are fine.

Anyplace where photography is not allowed will have a sign.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by goodfish Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Ah, here is a good example of a museum where you will see some signage forbidding photography of certain items/rooms.

okeeffemuseum.org/plan-your-...

If you look at the policies on this page for the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, you'll see that they request only non-flash photos, and that anywhere you see the symbol of the camera with the line through it means no photos at all of those paintings or galleries, please.

by goodfish Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Sorry - one more note:
    Santa Fe is famous for its art galleries: there are over 100 of them just on Canyon Road. They are wonderful to browse but the curators can be very touchy about people taking pictures of the original pieces: they do not want them to be, say, reproduced for profit. That said, I'd be very careful of snapping away in any of the galleries.

And should you be making any day trips to nearby pueblos, it's not uncommon for them to have strict rules regarding photography: either none at all, only for certain things, or only for an extra fee. It is NEVER allowed to photograph pueblo citizens without their express permission.

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

by AlbuqRay Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 9:18 PM

As far as I know, if you are just a tourist with your own camera, it is okay to take pictures of the outside of buildings. However, as in most places, photography is not allowed inside most museums and churches, although it may be allowed without a flash at specific sites. If you want to take pictures of local people, you should ask their permission. If you are a professional making a movie, you need a filming permit: santafe.org/Film/Film_Permit... .

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines