Santa Cruz Travel Answers

change location

Highway 1 between Pacific and Santa Cruz.

by Tenn4ever Online Now Apr 4, 2007 at 8:14 PM

We're visiting SF in early June. How heavily traveled is Highway 1 between Pacifica and Santa Cruz? Are there particular times to avoid? Also, along a different line, is the Big Basin Redwood State Park worth visiting for the Redwoods? Thank you.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Callavetta's Profile Photo

Re: Highway 1 between Pacific and Santa Cruz.

by Callavetta Online Now Apr 4, 2007 at 8:27 PM

I wouldn't say it's particularly crowded but you might get behind a slow car. You might find it foggy in June. Big Basin is a great place to visit Redwoods. There are also some great hiking trails. The photo on my home page was taken a couple of weeks ago at Big Basin.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Highway 1 between Pacific and Santa Cruz.

by Tenn4ever Online Now Apr 4, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. I think the picture of the redwood on your page convinced me to take a stop there on our way down the coast. A little aside, your remarks about the Grand Canyon could not be more true.

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo

Re: Highway 1 between Pacific and Santa Cruz.

by trvlrtom Online Now Apr 5, 2007 at 7:57 AM

I'll agree with Callaveta. The traffic usually isn't bad along this stretch of the coast, and Big Basin is a great place to see the redwoods. Keep in mind when planning your time that there isn't a direct road from the coast to Big Basin. You have to get there via highway 9 from Santa Cruz to the south, which takes at least a good 45 minutes passing through Felton, Ben Lomond and Boulder Creek; or from the north, which would completely change your itinerary. You can also hike in from the coast on the Skyline to the Sea trail, but that is a whole different matter that you have to prepare for.

Butano State Park has direct access from highway 1. It is a smaller park.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines