Santa Clara Travel Answers

change location
PhillyJohn's Profile Photo

Things to do near the Marriott

by PhillyJohn Online Now Mar 7, 2006 at 5:30 PM

Will be travelling to Santa Clara for 2 days end of March. How is the weather then? What kind of clothing would be needed?
What is there to see or do near the Marriott hotel? Is anything walkable or is a car absolutely necessary? I have heard that walking in California is just not done (ha ha). Seriously, is there anything close by to kill a day?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • nomad7890's Profile Photo

RE: Things to do near the Marriott

by nomad7890 Online Now Mar 7, 2006 at 6:49 PM

Suggest you try weather.com. It's a bit nice and a bit cold right now but if you're coming from Philly this would all be relative - it may not seem cold to you at all. Suggest checking weather.com for an approximation.

Not sure what Marriott you're staying at. In here you do need a car. If you have some free time, you could get to the Caltrain station and go to the city (SF) for a day. Other than the city you really need a car.

Nomad

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Things to do near the Marriott

by GSD Online Now Mar 7, 2006 at 7:47 PM

I live in SF Bay Area, about an hour from what is referred to as the "South Bay", which is where you are planning to travel. I work in the South Bay - San Jose - Santa Clara area a few time every month. THe weather will probably be fair, it has rained a lot lately, so you will most likely have a chance of showers and an overcast sky, San Jose is further from the ocean then SF, so weather willbe less moderatied.

You will need to either rent a car, use a taxi and/or use public transportation. If you are interested in NHL hockey, the Sharks will be playing at home on the 19th & 30th, a lot of fun, but expensive. Your best bet to be a tourist is to hit the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose. This 100+ year old mansion is something to see. It was built by the widow of the Mr. Winchester, as in the rifle. The mansion is said to be haunted by the rifle's victims' ghosts. Mrs Winchester was told in a seance that as long as construction was under way on the home she would be safe from the spirits, so construction continued 24/7, with doors and stairways that lead to nowhere. Check out the website: http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/

• Jokerit_pl's Profile Photo

by Jokerit_pl Online Now Mar 7, 2006 at 11:35 PM

I used to live and work about 2-3 miles from where you are staying in Santa Clara. The weather should start warming up a bit towards the end of March. Springtime will see a bit of rain and temps starting to warm a bit, so suggest you bring a jacket and some clothing suitable for mild days/cool evenings.

Within walking distance (across Great America Parkway) is a small outdoor entertainment mall with some decent eateries and a fairly large movie theater. A few blocks east on Great America Parkway, is the Great America theme park. Not sure if that's something you want to do, but just pointing it out. That's about it for things within reasonable walking distance.

As for transportation options, Light Rail is nearby and can take you to many parts of Santa Clara County including a lot of what I describe below. If you aren't into timetables and really want to look around, renting a car is the best option.

For things to do, there's not much to talk about in Santa Clara unless you want to visit some technology giants in the area like Intel, Yahoo, Cisco, etc. South of Santa Clara (101/87), you can reach downtown San Jose where there is no shortage of food and entertainment there. San Jose Arena (or whatever they call it now) where the Sharks hockey team plays is at the end of Highway 87 right before you hit Highway 280. Palo Alto is about 10 miles north on Highway 101 and has a good entertainment area, as well as Stanford University. If you are willing to drive a bit, Santa Cruz and other beach towns are across the coastal mountains to the west (about 35 miles) on Highway 17. If you are feeling more adventurous, Monterey/Carmel/Pebble Beach is about 1.5-2 hours drive south on Highway 101/156/1. Lots of things to do in that area that can burn a day very easily. Oh yeah, San Francisco and all that goes with the city is about 35-40 miles north of Santa Clara on Highway 101.

Lots to do :) Enjoy your stay in my old hometown!

by nomad7890 Online Now Mar 7, 2006 at 11:42 PM

Here are some links:
    http://www.vta.org/ Valley Transit
    http://www.caltrain.com/ Caltrain if you'd like to go to San Francisco

I always catch Caltrain if I need to go to the city, and then take a bus once in the city.
    Nomad

RE: RE: Things to do near the Marriott

by Jokerit_pl Online Now Mar 8, 2006 at 1:31 AM

Good links. One further comment on Caltrain is that you'll have to take Light Rail in order to get to a Caltrain station as there isn't one within walking distance. Last I checked, the Santa Clara Caltrain station is on the other side of the city close to the SJ Airport. I think the Sunnyvale station may be closer.

• GuiPueblo's Profile Photo

by GuiPueblo Online Now Mar 8, 2006 at 12:00 PM

There is a lot more to do locally (i.e. in/around Santa Clara and N. San Jose). Some ideas:

Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum: http://www.egyptianmuseum.org/
    Mission Santa Clara: http://www.scu.edu/mission/
    The Tech Museum of Innovation: http://www.thetech.org/

San Jose also has an online reference with attractions and upcoming events: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/attract.html

Enjoy your visit.

by Jokerit_pl Online Now Mar 8, 2006 at 4:56 PM

Oh yes, those places near downtown Santa Clara are worth the visit.

I thought about the Mission, but wasn't sure if that can be considered a day long visit. At this point, we are sort of guessing here since we don't really have an idea of the OP's interests. Hopefully, this will be enough for him to choose from before he goes on his trip.

• PhillyJohn's Profile Photo

by PhillyJohn Online Now Mar 8, 2006 at 5:45 PM

Thank you all for the tips.

What is OP?

The Marriott is the one on Mission College Bvd (I think). Will only have one day free; only in town for two, for conference. Would really prefer not to have to drive since I don't like the idea of driving in unfamiliar places. Just looking for some local flavor and shopping. The In 'n Out Burger place looks good!

by nomad7890 Online Now Mar 8, 2006 at 6:42 PM

Since I live in an acronym rich environment, let me guess OP means "other person"?
    A little comment on local flavor ... not sure it will become apparent after being here for a couple of days, but the San Jose area is a great melting pot of different cultures. We have many different Asian sub-groups along with some fusion, Spanish - another mix, with a majority from Mexico, many people from Russia and the Ukraine, and our new Indian residents - which make for some awesome food, and very diverse "flavors". I find places like "Il Fornaio" (if I spelled it right) - do have some of the Silicone Valley feel, but this is a very diverse place.

You may also want to bring a nice water repellent wind breaker - it's been raining on and off lately, but as previously mentioned we should be starting to get some of our nice weather staying around soon.

Enjoy your stay!

Nomad

by Jokerit_pl Online Now Mar 8, 2006 at 11:55 PM

Whoops, sorry! Yes, OP means Original Poster. I get so used to talking with other longtime VTers that those acronyms just sort of spill out from habit.

I agree on the diversity. The high-tech boom of the 90s really helped in this area bringing in many foreign nationals who wound up settling in the area. There is also a high concentration of Asians living in the area too. This all leads to an endless choice of ethnic food to experience.

As for the In-N-Out Burger, many consider it the best burger in California. In fact, I had it for lunch today. I still prefer Fatburger over In-N-Out, but that's a seperate discussion altogether. Enjoy it when you get here, but try and show up during the off-rush hours otherwise you'll be waiting in line forever with the rest of the college students.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines