Santa Catalina Island Travel Answers

change location

Hamilton Cove Villas?

by euro_travel3 Online Now Oct 12, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Hello -

My husband and I are planning to spend a couple days this December for our 1st Anniversary and are looking to stay at a nice, romantic place with ocean views. I have looked online the last couple days and so far have only liked Hamilton Cove Villas. The catch is that once I book a villa its non-refundable. I am a little hesistant to book without really hearing reviews from people on the particular villa we are interested in booking (based on availability). The villa we are interested in is 2-45.

Any comments/suggestions??

I would like to book within the new few days while its still available..

Any feedback is appreciated.

PT.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: Hamilton Cove Villas?

by travelgourmet Online Now Oct 12, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Hamilton Cove Villas are the best the Island has to offer and for the price a good deal. The only drawback would be if you do not intend to spend more time at the villa than in town. A couple of days on Catalina with Avalon being the only small tourist town that it is, Hamilton Cove is a delightful way to spend your time doing nothing. If you like to go around to different spots, the golf cart useage is well received as it is expensive to rent one in town and by the hour. BTW, there is a trolley that takes you around as well and is not that expensive if you chose to stay in a town Hotel. If you like to have cocktails then in town is where the action is. Luau Larry's is a fun experience. Many restaurants to choose among and I like the mexican food and drinks at Coyote Joe's in town.
    As for the hotel I enjoy, the Hotel Villa Portofino has comparable rates for the suites but less for the King suites. I prefer the Bella Vista suite. In town, everything is close and the trolley is right outside. See their website: http://www.hotelvillaportofino.com/
    I have VT tip pages that may be of interest to you at: ""26 miles across the sea"" - Avalon by travelgourmet

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sophiaphilip's Profile Photo

by sophiaphilip Online Now Oct 12, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Hi! why you can try to go Reunion island its a beautiful island I had a very good experience there . you to spend your first Anniversary in Reunion island. One Travel agency helped me a lot there so I can't forget them so you too try there I give you the agency website address

http://www.europe-travel-france.com/

http://www.europe-travel-agency.com/

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Oct 13, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Reunion Island is only half way around the earth from Santa Catalina Island. Well, I guess if you lived in Madagascar it would be close enough for a couple of days, but from Arizona,USA, not so sure. Personally, for a first Anniversary treat with a nice romantic place with ocean views, I would choose a wonderful B&B in Pacific Grove, California called the Seven Gables. Now, this is a romantic place with not only ocean views including an out cropping in the ocean called Lovers Point but is surrounded by three outstanding towns filled with great ocean views, boutiques and restaurants. With Monterey next door to the north, The Seven Gables is caressed by Pacific Grove and has the always charming Carmel-by-the-Sea to the south. See my take on the Seven Gables at: members.virtualtourist.com/v...
    and their website: http://thesevengablesinn.com/
    But, then I am a complete romantic. ;-)

• Re: Hamilton Cove Villas?

by euro_travel3 Online Now Oct 13, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Thanks both for your suggestions. We are looking for someplace close-by since taking time off from the new job that I start next week will be a little bit of problem. So since we really only have 2-3 days for this trip, only looking at places within an hour or so flight from Phoenix :)
    I checked Pacific Grove, it looks nice, but we'll have to fly to SF area, and in the Holiday season, a return trip will easily be around400. So maybe we'll keep that for sometime when airfares are not at their peak.
    I reallllyyy like the Hamilton Cove Villas, but somewhere in the reviews I read people recommend staying at only the villas that are rated and reviewed. Unfortunately, all of the rated/reviewed ones are already booked. I was hoping to hear from someone who has stayed there to give me their thoughts on how the place is overall? Are they reputed enough to stay at a particular villa that's not reviewed online? Its our first anniversary and we probably wouldn't like any not-so-pleasant surprizes :)

Thanks for your input :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines