Santa Catalina Island Travel Answers

change location

Car Transport

by snobrdchic Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Is there a drive on Ferry? I plan to go camping and will have a loaded up van that I want to take to the island.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: Car Transport

by travelgourmet Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 1:27 PM

If you mean Santa Catalina Island off coast of Californina, the answer is no. No to car ferry and no to bringing a car. You can arrive via helicopter, private boat, cruise ship, or Catalina Flyer or Express. See the website for Catalina Island which includes the city of Avalon and Two Harbors, the campground. See website: http://www.catalinachamber.com/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 7:03 PM

OH NOT TRUE! I think last I heard you can bring a car. However, the permit costs35,000 or you can buy one on the island if the person who owns it dies. Oh, I think all cars have to be less than 48" wide.

OK, maybe bringing a car is not a good idea. However, visiting the California Catalina island is a great idea.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Jim, don't confuse the poster. Only those who plan to live in the city of Avalon may apply for a vehicle peremit and the waiting list is 10 years long. That's why electric golf carts are all the rage with residents. Kidding around to someone who has a van full of camping gear, is not one to mess with. On Catalina, walking with a full backpack and equipment to camp is a tough thing to do. For the poster, see this website: southern-california-beaches-...

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Aug 18, 2010 at 12:16 AM

I have to agree with Travelgourmet, on this one. The list for residency is even longer. Someone has to move off the island for someone to move in. It is the same with cars.

Make other arrangements if you want to go to Catalina. Your van is an absolute no no there. Still, it is worth the trip......d:o)

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Aug 18, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Lighten up boys! We don't even know if they are coming to THE Catalina.

• Re: Car Transport

by snobrdchic Online Now Aug 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Yes, as a California girl I wasn't aware of any OTHER Catalina, LOL, and I may have my blonde moments, but I didn't confuse James's sarcasm as actual advice, but thank you Gourmet. :) Thank all you guys! I'll save this camping trip for when I can get the kids to help haul stuff :P

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Aug 18, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Consider me lightened up Jim.....d:o)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines