Sant Sadurní d'Anoia Travel Answers

change location

Calcots and cava

by BHMarc Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 7:34 AM

My wife and I will be in Barcelona Feb. 9- 16. We would like to. Spend a day in Sant Sadurni experiencing calcots and cava. What are your recommendations? Should we schedule a tour , or would we have a more authentic experience on our own? Any specific winery or restaurant recommendations?
Thanks
Marc

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: Calcots and cava

by gwened Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM

you have 7 days so depends how you schedule your time. HOwever, I never take tours. Some CAva ask for appoinntments and other dont. You need to choose the ones you like and call ahead to be sure or see their website for details

codorniu.com/home.html?wlang...
    http://www.freixenet.com/index.asp
    cavescolomer.com/eng_index.h...
    http://www.juveycamps.com/eng_index.htm

they are the most popular there

Restaurants are many and many cuisines and budgets, best to look at destinations above right for Barcelona restaurants see the tips by posters like us and choose the ones you like, then can come back for update details here; also my Spain page.

Hope it helps

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Calcots and cava

by BHMarc Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. Do you have any advice on finding a calcotada?
    Marc

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 1:47 AM

well the best calcots are in the Tarragona area, and towns outside Barcelona like Valls (1 hr by car) ,inside Barcelona I have been to this one
    Can Cortada
    Avda de l'estatut de Catalunya, s/n
    gruptravi.com/en/can-cortada...

hope it helps

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

by Belsaita Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Hi Marc,

The authentic experience will be going by yourself, to any place were we locals go (that are usually not these used by tours). Being surrounded by fellow tourists is rarely authentic ;-)

Besides, calçots are not usually accompanied with cava, a red Priorat or Montsant will be a much better pairing! So any tour offering cava and claçots together... well...

In any case, for a better experience I would "do" Sant Sadurni and Cava wineries one day, and the calçotada another day.

As suggested by gwened above, to have calçots in their "hometown" you must go to Valls, but it is a bit too far away from Barcelona IMHO if just for this. The experience will not be that different, if different at all, in a good restaurant in Valls or in a good restaurant in Barcelona or nearby.

In the Collserola mountain, just out of Barcelona, there are a few masies (old farmhouses) converted to restaurants that are very popular during the calçots season. You can take public transport to Molins de Rei or Vallvidrera and a taxi from there.

I had a very nice (and HUGE) meal at this one a couple of years ago:
    Can Ribes
    http://www.restaurantcanribes.com/

A bit more far away, in the Montseny mountain, Restaurant Tres Turons has a great reputation, as they grow their own calçots. It is not very expensive: 12€ for a big serving of calçots.
    www.tresturons.com
    You can take the train to Arenys de Munt and a taxi to the restaurant. I've never been yet but I'm going in two weeks, and very excited about it :-)

Going to Collserola or El Montseny areas will add the bonus of a beautiful mountain scenery. However, if you do not want to spend the extra time, money and hassle, just go to Can Cortada, as suggested by gwened. It is a beautiful masia too, now engulfed by the city.

Regarding Sant Sadurni, a day trip there on your own is easy, cheap and fun. Take the train from Sants or Passeig de Gràcia to Sant Sadurní. The Freixenet winery is just across the station. Then, you can take a taxi to Codorniu (if even for its beautiful architecture) and maybe to Raventós i Blanc, a less known cava-maker with very interesting products, located just next to Codorniu.

Remember you must book in advance for visiting most of the wineries, many allow this trough their websites.

After Sant Sadurni, you can take the train to Vilafranca, it has a very nice Medieval quarter, more wineries, and a little museum of wine. Its easy to do both towns in a day.

I do not have any recommendation for restaurants in Sant Sadurní or Vilafranca. When there we just had lunch at any place with a "menu del dia" that appealed to us. As said above, calçots are not really typical from that area, but you may find places serving there in season, as all around Catalunya these days.

Bon viatge!

• Re: Calcots and cava

by ramon1963 Online Now Dec 4, 2014 at 4:37 AM

Hi Marc,
    I recommend you to check out 3pfruits.co.uk. A web that is delivering all over the world, with interesting products and great articles about food. Also, You can find some tips and suggestions to enjoy a healthier life.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Sant Sadurní d'Anoia