Sankt Goar Travel Answers

change location

arriving in St. Goar by train?

by hallekatze Online Now Apr 30, 2007 at 11:07 PM

I will come from Frankfurt Airport by train. Will be staying in St. Goar. THere are only 3 trains in the morning from Frankfurt to St. Goar and it takes 3 hrs.
Does it seem reasonable to take the train to St. Goarshausen and then ferry across?
Also. We are staying in a youth hostel in St. Goar. I can't find a "city" map of St. Goar. Beginning to think it was a bad idea. Does anyone know how far it is and how accessible it might be? Is there any public transportation in the town? After a 24 hr. trip, would rather not hike straight up the mountain with luggage.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

Re: arriving in St. Goar by train?

by vtveen Online Now May 1, 2007 at 12:18 AM

"I can't find a "city" map of St. Goar": try www.michelin.com

happy travels
    Jaap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gubbi1's Profile Photo

by gubbi1 Online Now May 1, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Hi,
    google is your friend... :)
    Try this for a direct jump to Sankt Goar:

google.de/maps?hl=de&q=jugen...

On the Youth Hostel page it says 10 minutes walk from the trainstation. If you have much to carry, you still can call a cab. But I don't think it will be necessary, cause the train station (Sankt Goar) is here:

google.de/maps?f=q&hl=de&q=S...

So keep up your good mood! It is a great area with an interessting landscape!
    Take care and have fun, Christian.

• gubbi1's Profile Photo

by gubbi1 Online Now May 1, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Just checked the train times, cause I wondered about the three hours. I found connections with 1h 20min from Francfort Airport to St.Goar. Did you use the Bundesbahn page?

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...

Enter:
    To: St Goar

This should spit you out some connections. You can then click on the connection to see where you have to change trains (most probable in Bingen).
    Take care, Christian.

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now May 1, 2007 at 2:43 PM

You have to select "St. Goar" from the drop-down list at the DB timetable.
    One of the few cases I know where the default "St. Goar Rathaus" is nonsense.

> Does it seem reasonable to take the train to St. Goarshausen and then ferry across?
    Possible. But certainly not reasonable. Did you select "St. Goar KD" or something?

street map St. Goar
    st-goar.de/files/stadtplan-s...
    railway station is in field J7
    youth hostel in field I14/15

youth hostel St. Goar
    diejugendherbergen.de/cms/fr...
    See the lowest photo on the right for the location. The youth hostel is approx. 10-15 altitude meters above the town centre.
    Than remember the map linked above. The youth hostel was stretching over one field. Now you can guess the distance to the railway station. And why there is no public transport inside the town.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines