Sani Pass Travel Answers

change location

Hike Sani

by jetman1944 Online Now Aug 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM

How long should I allow to hike from the border post in SA to the chalets at the top. Reasonably fit and will stop to take pics

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Re: Hike Sani

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Aug 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Hi
    Well, the distance is 9km, but obviously there's a not insubstantial vertical component to consider as well: I would allow yourself 3-4 hours to be safe (which will give you time to stop for frequent photo opportunities and take a couple of detours from the road at particularly scenic spots).
    The road is reasonable gravel, but has a lot of hairpin bends, particularly on the top section where there is limited visibility around corners. So I would recommend that you exercise particular caution here as drivers will be so intent upon concentrating on the road itself that they're unlikely to be looking out for pedestrians. I would suggest that you wear some brightly coloured or fluorescent clothing just to maximise your visibility.
    If you're interested, you'll find a whole bunch of tips on Sani Pass and the chalets on my Lesotho page - it's a brilliant place!
    Regards
    Cathy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Aug 16, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Well, if you rendezvous with the dagga smugglers, it could take considerably longer ... :)

• canuck68's Profile Photo

by canuck68 Online Now Aug 17, 2012 at 2:53 PM

LOL

• Re: Hike Sani

by jetman1944 Online Now Aug 22, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Thanks to all who responded - really helpful ( the smugglers didn't show yesterday BTW!!)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines