Sandusky Travel Answers

change location
bevjerry's Profile Photo

Ferry To Canada?

by bevjerry Online Now Jan 6, 2006 at 6:00 PM

Can anyone tell me if there is a ferry that runs from the Sandusky area to Canada? We're planning a trip in late August to Ingersol, Ontario. It's about halfway between Detroit and Toronto. We'll probably be starting from the Cleveland area and wondered if a ferry might save a lot of driving.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • CdnJane's Profile Photo

RE: Ferry To Canada?

by CdnJane Online Now Jan 6, 2006 at 6:19 PM

I believe the only ferry in southern Ontario to the US would be the one from Rochester NY to Toronto. Not even sure that it is going to be running again this year.
    Afraid you'll have to drive unless someone knows of any shorter way.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Ferry To Canada?

by Fullmoonfever Online Now Jan 6, 2006 at 6:35 PM

Ok, I'm not aware of any ferries and you didn't mention if you would be taking a car across, if not, you might be able to charter a boat that would take you across. I know this may sound sorta different, but I'm sure there are boats that would do that. However, I have not contacted any for this purposes. Get on the net and look at fishing charters first, they may be able to put you in touch with a boat. If you're taking a car, just forget all this. lol :)

• bevjerry's Profile Photo

by bevjerry Online Now Jan 7, 2006 at 5:00 PM

Thanks for your answers. We will be taking a car. We grew up in Cleveland and still have family there. I didn't recall ever hearing of a ferry when we were young, but we've been living in California for 45 years and I thought maybe things had changed. I rather doubt that a fishing charter could legally take you to and from the U.S. now that they arre so paranoid about Homeland security.

I did Google Ontario Ferries and it looked like there might be one from Canada to the U.S. but I wasn't sure about the other way round since they only quoted prices for the southbound trip.

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

by CdnJane Online Now Jan 7, 2006 at 7:00 PM

We just ship folks south! We don't want any more people here.... Not sure what they bring back to avoid an empty boat, though. Best not to ask.

• RE: Ferry To Canada?

by the7hanlons Online Now Apr 21, 2006 at 8:59 AM

It's been a few months since you posted your question, but here's some information. We took the ferry last year (May 2005) from Sandusky to Ontario. They ferried our family of 7 and our minivan. We left Sandusky at 12:15pm local time and arrived at Kingsville Pier in Kingsville, Ontario at 6:30pm local time. We stopped once, at Pelee Island where we went through Customs, but it was a short stop. There is another ferry that stays overnight at Pelee Island then goes on to Ontario the next morning. Some people opt for that one so they can spend a little time touring the island. For more information, check http://www.pelee.com/map.asp or call 1-800-661-2220.

• bevjerry's Profile Photo

by bevjerry Online Now Apr 21, 2006 at 8:18 PM

Thanks so much. I'll check into it.

Bev

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines