Sandton Travel Answers

change location

Sandton flavour!

by Pinky33 Online Now Apr 27, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Im from bloemfontein and recently moved to Joburg. I have a friend from overseas who is coming for visit and i need to take her to sandton so we could together experience the ambience and we'd like to know of some good restaurants which have indeed african or just south african flavour where we could maybe book a table for atleast the whole night.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Re: Sandton flavour!

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Apr 27, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Hi
    Do you need to go to Sandton in particular? The reason that I ask is that Sandton generally doesn't offer much that is traditionally South African, except the steakhouse options (of which the Butcher's Shop on Sandton Square is the best known, pretty pricey and aimed at the highly carnivorous).
    Perhaps the most obvious option is Moyo at Melrose Arch, which has excellent ambience and pan African food - it's a great setting, but I do think that the food is overpriced and not as spectacular as the restaurant itself.
    My personal preference would be the legendary Gramadoela's in Newtown (http://www.gramadoelas.co.za), which offers traditional South African food (a la carte and buffet), has been going for 45 years and is a Jo'burg institution. To make an evening of it, you could combine with drinks and live music at the Bassline. If you are super organised and can start late afternoon, then I'd highly recommend doing the last tour at SAB's World of Beer in Newtown (including complementary drinks) before heading on for supper - they are only a couple of hundred metres apart.
    Hope this helps!
    Regards
    Cathy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Online Now Apr 27, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Cathy, thanks for clueing me in to a new place that I should try next time I am down in SA. It's funny, Moyo and the Butcher Shop were the first places that leaped to my mind as well, but I also find the food at Moyo to be underwhelming and the prices at the Butcher Shop overwhelming!

Many years ago I was taken to a place in downtown Jo'burg called Kapitan's (I think that was how it was spelled) which was a fairly low-budget lunch spot, but described to me by my South African companion as "absolutely South African." I thought the food was more Indian, but he said that it was classic South African, by which I guess he meant Durban-style. Anyway, it was good but certainly not a place to go out for an evening!

To me the places that most epitomize South Africa are Ocean Basket and Nando's :-)

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Apr 27, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Hi
    I too loved Kapitans!
    Unfortunately when the old lady who ran it (with an iron fist) died, to my knowledge, it closed down - such a shame!
    Regards
    Cathy

• Re: Sandton flavour!

by Pinky33 Online Now Apr 27, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Hi again...
    Thank you very much Cathy for the info it is so helpful and valued I am even grazy about the SAB tour but can you please tell me if you may, how or where I can get the exact prices of the tour and how long does it take.

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Apr 27, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Hi Pinky
    Follow this link: "Sample SAB's finest produce at World of Beer!" - Johannesburg Things to Do Tip by CatherineReichardt
    World of Beer is about 400m from Gramadoela's and about 250m from The Bassline. There is ample parking outside the SciBono Science Centre and the whole Newtown precinct is pretty secure.
    I can highly recommend it!
    Regards
    Cathy

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines