Sandakan Travel Answers

change location

Sandakan Jan2011

by NoeleneMS Online Now Jan 7, 2011 at 3:22 AM

Hi my family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children 4yrs,7yrs,9yrs)are travelling to Sandakan mid Jan and are staying at a hotel in sandakan for 6 nights. The highlight is to visit the orangutans and probiscus monkeys for at least 1-2 feeding sessions. Is it worth staying at accomodation closer to their location?
Also is it worth visting the turtles this time of year?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Sandakan Jan2011

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 7, 2011 at 4:11 AM

I don't see any particular advantage to staying closer to the Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre. We stayed at the property next door and it was well out of town, so it did limit what we could do. In town would have been better that way. It was still a bit of a drive to get to the oragutans themselves.

There were no Proboscis monkeys there. Just some fairly agressive macaques. WE did not see any of these until we were heading up the Kinabatangan River on our way to Sukau.

Turtles, we did not bother with, so I cannot comment on this particular aspect of your plans.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jan 7, 2011 at 11:21 AM

imho 6 night in Sandakan are too much!
    as posted NO probiscus monkeys at Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre.

If I were you would do a tour for 6 night which includes probiscus monkeys, turtles, orangutans and much more.
    I warmly suggest you to read this from VT member Sim1
    State of Sabah Things to Do Tips by sim1
    I did the same tour with the same agency (www.wildlife-expeditions.com) the first time I've been to Borneo, everything perfect, well organized, getting out of the bus or car and a boat waiting, out of boat a car ready, arriving also in the morning where we were going to sleep the following night, the rooms were ready.. nice guides, nice people, nice foods.
    All the resort are owned by wildlife-expeditions except turtle island resort, owned by Seaquest [??], the only one I found without A/C but lately someone told me they have now. Nice to have A/C in the room in Borneo, you can keep close the windows because the black macaque of Borneo (Macacus maurus) is really b@st@rd... inside!

read Sim1's pages, you'll find a lot of infos.

• Re: Sandakan Jan2011

by NoeleneMS Online Now Jan 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my query, sorry i wasn't very clear with my question. We hope to visit Sepilok Orangutan sancturary and also at some point visit Labuk Bsy Probiscous Monkeys where in both areas we would like to see a couple of feeds. We thought of a tour but were thinking it might be a little too full on for our youngest, hence opted for staying in one spot. However we would consider staying for 1 night in an area either near orangutans or Labuk bay if it made it a better experience.

• Dreamgirl1's Profile Photo

by Dreamgirl1 Online Now Jan 7, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Hi,

I have visited independantly both Sepilok Orang Utan sanctuary and Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary in a day (morning feeding session at Sepilok, late afternoon feeding session at Labuk). Both are worth visiting.

My personal favourite is Labuk Sanctuary - 4 family groups and 1 batchelor group live in a protected mangrove area. If you're lucky you also get to see Silver Leaf Monkeys and Hornbills.

I'd suggest you stay one night at accommodation near Sepilok (there are several resorts / Lodges near there) as it will be easier, quicker and cheaper for you to get taxis to the feeding sessions.

It's the Wet Season in January in Sabah. The North East trade winds will make the sea quite rough on the boat transfer to Turtle island and we get a bit more tropical rain. If you are happy with this then you'll still get to see hatching / nesting turtles.

Hope this helps and enjoy your holiday in Sabah!

• Re: Sandakan Jan2011

by NoeleneMS Online Now Jan 7, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Thanks so much for the infor can't wait to see the monkeys and orangutans, we'll make sure to take sea sickness pills with us.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines