San Salvador Travel Answers

change location

traveling to and marrying in San Salvador El Salvador

by hisgalsal Online Now Jun 14, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I am a U.S. citizen wanting to travel with my fiance who is from El Salvador, next year. As El Salvadorean citizens need to show financial status to apply for visa's, do U.S. citizens need too, also?
Also, if we marry in El Salvador do we have to re marry in U.S. for marriage to be recognized?
I want to marry outside, maybe on a mountain or hillside over looking the city of San Salvador during a sunset or during sunset on a beach there? Anyone know of such a place?
Thanks for the response.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: traveling to and marrying in San Salvador El Salvador

by Donna_in_India Online Now Jun 14, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Hi - check the visa documents needed on the Consulate's website to see if you need to supply financial status. For your marriage, you can check with the US Consulate in El Salvador to see if they require you to register the marriage with them (they might need to see the legal certificate). You should also check with the authorities in El Salvador what documents you would need or requirements you need to meet in order to marry there. Good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 14, 2009 at 11:15 PM

There are several consulates in the US, as well as the main embassy. Contact info here:

elsalvador.org/embajadas/eeu...

• Massawippi's Profile Photo

by Massawippi Online Now Jan 8, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Just happened to read your post .
    The Decameron Hotel in Salinitas near Sansonate had a beautiful wedding reception on the beach while I was there. I have some nice pictures if you are interested.

• TomJenner's Profile Photo

by TomJenner Online Now Jan 29, 2010 at 9:11 AM

I am British and married my Salvadorean wife in San Salvador 6 years ago. There was no need for additional paperwork in the UK, but it may be different for the US. However, we did need some paperwork before we got married. We both needed recent birth certificates (if I remember, less than 3 months old) and needed to have them in the country a month or so before the wedding, so we could not wait for my family to bring them out. I believe there was some other paper needed, but I can't recall what (I think it was to prove that I was not already married in the UK, but I cannot remember exactly). The wedding was conducted by a local lawyer at a restaurant (La Pampa Argentina) which has a nice view over the city at night. I suggest you contact a lawyer first and find out what the requirements will be. My guess is that you will find it almost impossible if you just turn up and hope to plan it when you arrive.
    Oh, and congratulations.

Tom

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near San Salvador