San Salvador Travel Answers

change location

Travel in and around San Salvador and Elsavador to Honduras

by june71 Online Now Dec 6, 2007 at 2:48 AM

My friend and i will be in San Salvador on Feb 14,,planning to travel towards and into Honduras.Through Honduras to La Ceiba,stopping at some sights along the way.We are allowing 6 days to do this.Can we do this by bus,and is it safe,we are two adventurous senior ladies.What highlites could we visit along the way?Is it possible to go to Utila by boat from La Ceiba?We would so very much appreciate any info we could get.
Thank you in advance.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • travelintom2004's Profile Photo

Re: Travel in and around San Salvador and Elsavador to Honduras

by travelintom2004 Online Now Dec 22, 2007 at 7:13 PM

Of you have any interest at all in archeology/Maya civilization, I recommend that you visit Copan just over the Guatemala border in Honduras. The town of Ruinas Copan is safe, clean and quiet; a good place to stop and rest. For "senior ladies" the Hedman Alas bus line is probably the most comfortable and has a route from Guatemala City to La Ceiba with stops in Ruinas Copan and San Pedro Sula. More expensive than other bus lines but worth it, especially for an easy border crossing at La Florida. Have a good trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • wardski12's Profile Photo

by wardski12 Online Now Jan 21, 2008 at 11:33 AM

I did a similar trip this summer, your best bet is to head from San Salvador to San Miguel. Which should not cost you much at all. From San Miguel head north to Perquin. Spend a few days here if you can (make sure you visit el mozote). from Perquin a bus leaves daily to Marcala and from Marcala you can make your way to La Ceiba.

• TomJenner's Profile Photo

by TomJenner Online Now Feb 20, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Although I agree that a trip to Perquin is well worth it (I go up there for a weekend about once a month), it will not be the quickest route to La Ceiba. The border crossing at perquin has only just re-opened and I believe that the roads on the Honduran side are very poor. I do all my travel by car, so I can't help much with buses. The most direct route from San Salvador to La ceiba is to take CA2 north to cross the frontier at El Poy and then continues on to San Pedro Sula and on to La Ceiba. This is about 8 or 9 hours in a private car and I have done it a few times in one day. I believe that most (all?) buses go through Copan. As mentioned above, this is a great place to stop off on route, though I believe that you can do San Salvador to La Ceiba by bus in a day.
    I hope you have a great trip. This is a fantastic part of the world.

Tom

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near San Salvador