San Rafael Travel Answers

change location

october/november in San Rafael

by ClaraZZ Online Now Aug 18, 2007 at 9:53 AM

Hi,

I'm planning to attend an English course (I'm Italian and my English really needs to be improved...)at Dominican University in October/November, but I have a few doubts.
Is it true that it rains all the time in that period of the year?
Maybe it's not the best time to come to San Rafael...especially if I'm staying only for a month.
Can anyone give me a piece of advice?

Thank You!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Rixie's Profile Photo

Re: october/november in San Rafael

by Rixie Online Now Aug 18, 2007 at 3:47 PM

October is usually beautiful in the Bay Area. The rainy season usually starts in November. Last year was quite dry, and it hardly rained at all.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sacking's Profile Photo

by sacking Online Now Aug 18, 2007 at 9:41 PM

I agree that October is usually an excellent time to visit. Usually rainy season starts in January. Though officially it could start as early as October-November.
    Even if it rains, which I doubt, it won't rain all the time. Temp in 70-80 degree F range during day, dipping into 50's at night. You'll be an hour drive from the wine country of Napa/Sonoma. Very pretty.

• atufft's Profile Photo

by atufft Online Now Aug 18, 2007 at 10:59 PM

Sacking is right on target. The October period in the wine country is very good, and even if it rains a bit in later November, it will be a few days of light rain at most, and then weeks will go by without a drop. California is largely a desert in terms of precipitation--it never rains "all the time" here, and at San Rafael, you'll probably experience a rain shadow effect at that time of year anyway, where clouds pass overhead and drop the rain in the Sierra Foothills. You can catch a transit ferry direct to San Francisco from San Rafael, so regardless of the weather good times can be had in the city anyway.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

by Rixie Online Now Aug 19, 2007 at 7:11 AM

Actually, the ferry terminal is in Larkspur. However, Golden Gate Transit buses do run all day between San Rafael and San Francisco.

I agree that you shouldn't decide not to come because of possible rain. San Francisco is an exciting city to visit.

• atufft's Profile Photo

by atufft Online Now Aug 19, 2007 at 10:28 PM

The Ferry terminal in Larkspur does service San Rafael completely, at least from the schedule provided. There are buses that convey passengers each way for every arrival and every departure.

• Re: october/november in San Rafael

by ClaraZZ Online Now Aug 21, 2007 at 9:28 AM

Ok so, no flood in San Rafael, I worry too much I know...
    Thank you for your help!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines