San Rafael Travel Answers

change location

biking and getting my bike to San Rafael

by clogsdon Online Now Jul 22, 2006 at 10:06 PM

I'm planning on flying to San Francisco and finding my way to San Rafael. How is the best way to get from SFO to San Rafael if I'm bringing a bicycle with me?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • atufft's Profile Photo

RE: biking and getting my bike to San Rafael

by atufft Online Now Jul 22, 2006 at 10:41 PM

I'll assume you are riding the bike, otherwise you can get a passenger shuttle direct to San Rafael that may take the crated bicycle if it's packed small enough to get into the van. If you're actually riding the bike, the cheaper option is public transportation. The first part is easy, take BART to SF. Bikes are OK on BART except during rush hour, so Google BART and check the policy for bikes. I believe that you'll probably rather ride the ferry than the bus, so I'd get off at the Embarcadero Station and ride the bicycle a couple blocks to the Ferry building. Take the Larkspur Ferry, and then when in Larkspur, look for a local bus there heading for San Rafael. If you have a friend in San Rafael, they can easily pick you up at the ferry terminal in Larkspur, or you may be able to finish the trip by pedaling the distance. Since San Rafael is the largest city in Marin County, buses from the Larkspur ferry are a routine and frequent routes, no doubt, and they should be able to carry a couple bicycles on racks outside the bus. Google Golden Gate Transit to find the fares, schedules, and routes. There's also a bus that goes to San Rafael from San Francisco over the Golden Gate Bridge. Larkspur ferry has bicycle lockers, but I also know that bikes can go on the ferries, and that bicycle messengers may live in Larkspur. Have a chat with one of these hardy fellows on the ferry ride north.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: biking and getting my bike to San Rafael

by rmadapati Online Now Oct 19, 2007 at 11:13 PM

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply. I have a question for you. I was looking for information on getting to San Rafael from San Fran and stumbled upon your post. I would like to know from you whats the best, cheapest and most optimal way to get from Powell Street
    San Francisco to San Rafael? Would you be so kind enough to let me know? I thank you in advance...

• atufft's Profile Photo

Re: biking and getting my bike to San Rafael

by atufft Online Now Oct 20, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Probably the bus is the absolute cheapest, but the ferry would be the easiest. At the foot of Powell, walk down Market to the Embarcadero and find the Ferry building. There are numerous commuter ferries leaving for Larkspur/San Rafael. That's clearly the best way to go. At the landing in Marin county, there's a brief bus ride in to San Rafael. You need to check the websites for prices. See my San Francisco transportation pages for the links.

• Re: biking and getting my bike to San Rafael

by rmadapati Online Now Oct 21, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply. So if I take the ferry from San Fran into San Rafael, are there cabs available in San Ragael that I can use to visit my destination there? Any information you provide would be very useful for me, thanks in advance.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Re: biking and getting my bike to San Rafael

by atufft Online Now Oct 21, 2007 at 9:28 PM

There are most certainly Municipal buses with bike racks that will take you from the ferry to the central bus terminal in San Rafael, and then from there to any number of destinations within the immediate area. Cycling through the Marin headlands, incidentally, is generally excellent this time of year. We've had a few early rains, but a week long warming trend is ahead. You should be able to find all the bus schedules on-line--browse a bit with google.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines