San Pedro de Atacama

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Buses from Salta to San Pedro

by larra48 Online Now Apr 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Are there any comfortable air conditioned buses with leg room travelling from Salta to San Pedro? I know there is 1 restroom on the bus, but do they make frequent stops to stretch your legs and stop for a bite to eat and use their restrooms? It looks like it take 12- 14 hours? How much do the buses cost and which one would you recommend? Thanks.

Larra

more
    • Self-Drive to Uyuni?

by AngieRC Online Now Mar 30, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Hi, my friend and I will be in San Pedro de Atacama for only four days. We would like to make a trip to the Salar de Uyuni and to stay in the Palacio de Sal, but we don't have time to take the usual 3 day tour. We will have a rental car while in Atacama. Is it possible for us to drive ourselves to the Salar de Uyuni from San Pedro or Calama? (Assuming we can sort out the legal details with the rental company.) Meaning can the drive be reasonably done in one day and back the next day? Are the roads relatively passable? If we don't have a satellite phone, are we likely to die a slow and painful death?

more

Near San Pedro de Atacama

• Buses from Salta to San Pedro

by larra48 Online Now Apr 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Are there any comfortable air conditioned buses with leg room travelling from Salta to San Pedro? I know there is 1 restroom on the bus, but do they make frequent stops to stretch your legs and stop for a bite to eat and use their restrooms? It looks like it take 12- 14 hours? How much do the buses cost and which one would you recommend? Thanks.

Larra

1 Answer Apr 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    • Self-Drive to Uyuni?

by AngieRC Online Now Mar 30, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Hi, my friend and I will be in San Pedro de Atacama for only four days. We would like to make a trip to the Salar de Uyuni and to stay in the Palacio de Sal, but we don't have time to take the usual 3 day tour. We will have a rental car while in Atacama. Is it possible for us to drive ourselves to the Salar de Uyuni from San Pedro or Calama? (Assuming we can sort out the legal details with the rental company.) Meaning can the drive be reasonably done in one day and back the next day? Are the roads relatively passable? If we don't have a satellite phone, are we likely to die a slow and painful death?

4 Answers Apr 1, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    • Traveling with a dog

by Mlb79 Online Now Mar 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM

We are driving from santiago chile to lima Peru with our dog and are planning on stopping to check out the atacama desert for several days. Any recomendations for pet friendly places to stay? Also would love any other tips for self guided sight seeing. Thanks :)

1 Answer Mar 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    • bus schedule san pedro de atacama to arica

by joseph.faleiro Online Now Oct 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM

How can I buy a bus ticket in advance from San Pedro de Atacama to arica and then to Tacna,
      and what are the bus companies and schedules?
      I need to get a 7:45am flight from Tacna to Cuzco.
      Tank you in advance!!!

5 Answers Oct 17, 2013 at 2:01 PM
    • Bus from Santa Cruz to San Pedro

by devin.gmyrek Online Now Sep 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Is there a way to get from Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile by bus? What's the best option?

1 Answer Sep 28, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    • getting from san pedro de atacama to buenos aires

by Ninosch Online Now Aug 14, 2013 at 8:01 AM

hello everyone,
      can someone tell me how to get from san pedro de atacama to buenos aires the fastest way? i am planning to arrive in buenos aires around the 20th of september. are there direct buses?
      thank you very much for your help,
      nina

4 Answers Aug 15, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    • Traveling to chile

by Mariaharnett Online Now Jun 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Anyone travelling to San de Pedro atamaca this week? With a spare seat?

• finding couple to share private tour san pedro / salar uyuni 15/19 january

by xixaribeiro Online Now Jan 10, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Hi,
      My husband and I intend to go to the Salar de Uyuni, from San Pedro de Atacama, on January 15, 2013 and returning on Jan. 19. We researched several agencies that make the tours and the best ranked were the Cordillera and Ruta Verde, the latter has oxygen balloon and satellite phone in case of emergency. The cost of the trip its around US 2200 per car, that can be shared by 4. We want to know if any
      couple is interested in sharing the tour with us?
      Thank you

• bajalin's Profile Photo

San Pedro to Uyuni

by bajalin Online Now Jun 23, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Is this 2 night trip too arduous a trip for 2 people in their early 60s?

If I spent a few days in San Pedro taking day trips, then a train or bus to Uyuni, would I get similar experience with more comfort?

Can anyone offer guidance?

3 Answers Jun 28, 2011 at 3:56 AM
    • Visa for Bolivia

by janetlee Online Now Dec 14, 2010 at 4:41 PM

We wish to join a tour from San Pedro to Uyuni. However, we (from Hong Kong) do not have Bolivia visa. Does anyone have experience in obtaining the visa in Calama, San Pedro or the frontier between Chile and Bolivia? Is it easy to get it? How long will it take?

By the way, one of us holds United Kingdom passport. Does the passport holder require visa to enter into Bolivia?

All advice/comment are highly appreciated in advance.

2 Answers Dec 14, 2010 at 11:11 PM
    • Visa to Bolivia

by janetlee Online Now Dec 13, 2010 at 11:05 PM

We plan to join a tour from San Pedro de Atacama to Uyuni, Bolivia. However, we do not have Bolivia visa. Does any VT members know whether we can apply it in Calama or San Pedro de Atacama? Can we apply for the visa at the border between Chile and Bolivia?

• HELP: Want to go to Salar de Uyuni from San Pedro but worried about altitude sickness

by 04072511 Online Now Oct 20, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Hi all. I'm on a trip around south america and am a bit tight for time as I need to be in Arequipe around 3rd November. Tomorrow I go to Valparaiso in Chile and then get a bus to San Pedro de Atacama. From there I would like to do the Salar de Uyuni (I dont care that it costs more) and then return to San Pedro and from there head to Arequipa.

However I found the following in this link:

lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t...

"One more tip.... on the first night we stayed in the same place as a group that was coming the opposite way from San Pedro to Uyuni. They were all suffering terribly from altitude sickness, with the vomiting and insomnia and feeling miserable. Our driver told us if you come that way you gain 2,000 metres altitude in 40minutes from San Pedro to the border so it is inevitable really. He said he would not do it that way round! Coming from Uyuni you gain 1,500m over 3 days, although you would probably still feel it if you had not already been in La Paz or Uyuni."

This has me worried. Doing the tour from Uyuni is not an option for me, considering my time restrictions. It is either from San Pedro or from nowhere.

How big a risk is it doing the tour from San Pedro? I was thinking of spending a few days in San Pedro and doing the various one day tours of the local area which are all above 4000m, and if I dont feel well during those tours then I could give Uyuni a miss. If I feel good during those tours then perhaps that means I'd be ok to do the Salar de Uyuni.

Any advice would be great. I was at 2,850 metres today near Mendoza in the Andes and I felt fine.

8 Answers Oct 26, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    • Getting to Uyuni after doing the Salar de Uyuni Tour and spending a few nights in San Pedro

by Rancey1 Online Now Oct 19, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Hi,

I have been looking around a bit but can't find a definitive answer one way or the other. I have read that it is possible to start in Uyuni to do the 3-4 day tour and finish in San Pedro, but I'm not sure if it's possible to go back to Uyuni after spending a few nights in San Pedro directly or whether I would have to do the tour or find some other way to get back?

I really want to head to La Paz after the tour but I also want to spend a few nights in San Pedro if possible (and worthwhile). The other option I was looking at was possible heading over to Salta after San Pedro and flying from there to Santa Cruz and onto La Paz...To be honest I don't know anything about Salta and don't really know if it's a good place to see or not.

Thanks

1 Answer Oct 19, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    • Air charter for atacama salt flats

by steveback Online Now Jul 27, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I am an australian based photographer and will be in chile in September, I am looking to do some aerial photography of the atacama salt flats. anyone know where i cna hire a light aircraft in the vicinity or companies that run scenic air tours. thanks, steve

2 Answers Jul 29, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    • bus to Salta

by anncorr Online Now Jun 13, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Hi !
      I'll be in San Pedro in october, then I want to go to Salta . I'd like to know if it's necessary to make a reservation for the bus. If it is,where can I do it ? It seems not to be possible on Pullman or Geminis website...
      Thank you four your answer.

1 Answer Jun 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    • biking to ruins

by rene82 Online Now Feb 20, 2010 at 6:57 PM

My friend and I are interested in renting bikes and heading off to Quitor and Tulor (probably on two separate days). Has anyone done this? Are they easy enough to find? How much time would you allow? We are hoping we could do each in half a day to fill the day before our Valle de La Luna tour (~3pm), and after our Tatio Geyser Tour (~1pm). Does this seem possible?

2 Answers Aug 15, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    • tour companies

by rene82 Online Now Feb 20, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with specific tour companies in San Pedro de Atacama? I am interested in doing the typical Tatio Geyser tour, Valle de la Luna sunset tour, and Altiplano Lagoons tour. I want a company that speaks English, is knowledgeable, and gives us plenty of time to walk around, rather than spending most of the trip being carted around in a van. I've been trying to book with Cosmo Andino for the last two weeks, but they haven't responded to my emails. So, I'm trying out Cactus tours, Desert Adventures, Vulcano Expediciones, and Atacama Connections. Any tips would be appreciated.

2 Answers Mar 1, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    • How to come back to San Pedro from Uyuni quickly after the 3 days salar tour?

by fab1010 Online Now Nov 4, 2009 at 7:04 AM

Hi,
      My girl friend and I will be in Santiago mid December and would like to do the 3days/2nights Salar de Uyuni tour starting from Uyuni and ending in San Pedro.

The problem is that we only have 5 days starting from / coming back to Santiago (we have to be back in Santiago for a wedding). Is it feasible?
      The main question is how to get to the start of the tour in Uyuni quickly enough from Santiago. Our current best guess is to fly to Calama and find a 1 day transport to Uyuni from there but I can’t see any (the only transport I found so far is the 3 days San pedro to Uyuni tour…). Any suggestion?

Alternatively we could start the tour from San Pedro but then would have to find a quick (1 day max) and reliable transport to come back from Uyuni to San Pedro. Suggestions most welcome here again.

Also do we have to book these tours in advance in that period (mid december) to make sure we get one when we arrive (we would like to join a 6 people tour… private tours are just too expensive)… given our time constraint, we can’t really wait for a few days...

Thanks a lot for your help
      Fab

3 Answers Nov 5, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    • Geoglyphs

by krimbert Online Now Jul 15, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Will I be able to take a tour from San Pedro to see geoglyphs?

Karen

1 Answer Jul 16, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    • Travel from San Pedro to Salta

by John-PaulMoses Online Now May 24, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Can anyone recommend a good bus company from San Pedro to Salta and do you know how frequent they are?

2 Answers May 25, 2008 at 6:33 AM
    • Yasuo-ms's Profile Photo

Has anybody worked with Atacama Spirit agency?

by Yasuo-ms Online Now Jan 19, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Hi, I have been speaking with Atacama Spirit for Hotel and Tour reservations (including 3 day overland trip to Uyuni). I wanted to know if anywone has had experience with this agency and if they are reliable.

Thankyou in advance, John

• cheapest/best transport from san pedro to mendoza(argentina)

by nathanjrutherford Online Now Dec 12, 2007 at 6:49 AM

hi if any has info on cheapest/best transport from san pedro to mendoza(argentina)would be much appreciated as me and friend tryin to get to in and around BA...etc for xmas/nye

cheers

1 Answer Jul 16, 2009 at 8:05 PM
    • getting back to bolivia

by sepiatree Online Now Jul 29, 2007 at 4:26 PM

I'd like to get back to bolivia (ending up in la paz) after visiting san pedro de atacama. It seems to be easy to get an uyuni tour to drop you off in san pedro; but which is the most interesting and feasible route back; or can anyone reccomend a good tour company that covers the area?

1 Answer Oct 30, 2007 at 11:52 PM
    • Bolivia to Chile

by Rustyruss Online Now Jan 25, 2007 at 9:39 AM

Hi
      I would like to travel from Salar di uyuni to San Pedro de Atacama. For there head south to Santiago. What is the easiest way to do this. Is it at all possible? Thanks all!!

Rusty

2 Answers Sep 9, 2007 at 2:31 PM
    • Bolivia to Chile

by Rustyruss Online Now Jan 25, 2007 at 8:55 AM

Hi
      I would like to travel from Salar di uyuni to San Pedro de Atacama. For there head south to Santiago. What is the easiest way to do this. Is it at all possible? Thanks all!!

Rusty

1 Answer Jan 30, 2007 at 5:15 AM
    • metteks's Profile Photo

Nice hotel?

by metteks Online Now Dec 11, 2006 at 1:49 PM

Hi

I think we will end up in San Pedro for christmas, and we are looking for a nice hotel, price 20-40 us-dollars for a doubleroom with private bathroom.
      Nice and cozy hangout places are prefered, but I don't know if that is possible in that pricerange.

We don't have any guidebook yet, so we would apriciate any recomendations.

Do you think San Pedro will be a nice place for christmas?

Thank you.

• Tours to Uyuni

by flipperandy Online Now Apr 17, 2006 at 8:37 AM

Can anyone recommend any tours to Uyuni from San Pedro over 3 days?

Do you need to book in advance?

Any other recommendations for San Pedro? Like where to stay and what is good to see.

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing back.

1 Answer Apr 19, 2006 at 7:14 PM
    • B3av's Profile Photo

Getting around San Pedro sites in rented 4x4

by B3av Online Now Feb 21, 2006 at 6:13 AM

Hey all,

Planning on arriving in San Pedro on the 5th of April. Collecting 4x4 from Calama.

Think it will be simple enough to get to San Pedro (just follow Route 23?). What I don't know is how easy is it to find the various sites. El Tatio Geysers for instance being 95km away. Is it easy enough to buy a road map in Calama or San Pedro? Should I just follow the tour 4x4s?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

8 Answers Jun 19, 2006 at 8:14 AM
    • buenos aires - san pedro - lima

by charlg Online Now Feb 14, 2006 at 6:04 AM

i{m leaving buenos aires at the end of the week and need to be in lima by the beginning of march. in betweenmy priority is the slat flats from san pedro.
      any info on bus links?
      thanks

• transport to santiago de chile

by world&7seas Online Now Dec 28, 2005 at 12:11 PM

I was quite shocked when I saw on LAN´s website that a simple 1 way fare to Santiago is 315 USD ... is there any cheaper option by air (I have no time to take the bus)? Any agency that can book a cheap flight?

1 Answer Dec 28, 2005 at 1:14 PM