San Pedro de Atacama Travel Answers

change location
bajalin's Profile Photo

San Pedro to Uyuni

by bajalin Online Now Jun 23, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Is this 2 night trip too arduous a trip for 2 people in their early 60s?

If I spent a few days in San Pedro taking day trips, then a train or bus to Uyuni, would I get similar experience with more comfort?

Can anyone offer guidance?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • langlanglangpelikan's Profile Photo

Re: San Pedro to Uyuni

by langlanglangpelikan Online Now Jun 23, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Hi!

If you are normal fit this will be no problem.

The biggest problem for all ages is the height, and it can set you out for some days. So keep plenty of water close, and take it easy. :)

The salt flats are really worth it!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • aqazi's Profile Photo

by aqazi Online Now Jun 26, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Nope, you basically sit in the jeep most of the time. The arduous bit as suggested is the altitude which probably effects everyone the same way. Get some pills before you leave home and take them just before your ascent and you should be fine. You still have to deal with the altitude if you do the salt flats by train/bus from La Paz. Most of the ascent from what I remember is in the first few hours of the tour, we hit 5020m on that first day which is still the highest I've ever been!

Az..

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

by adelinemmc Online Now Jun 28, 2011 at 3:56 AM

Hi just to clarify that the trip by jeep is your only option. There are no train or bus services from San Pedro to Uyuni. This is because it involves crossing one of the most desertic & isolated place in SA.
    As mentioned before, your main problem will be high altitude. Some people need much longer than a day to acclimatise and you should be on the lookout for any symptoms of mild altitude sickness-OK or pulmonary or cerebral eodema -not OK! It's rare but it can happen and once you're on the Bolivian side, you'll be on the altiplano with no possibility of going down in altitude for days (Uyuni is at over 3,600 mtrs high).

Adeline

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near San Pedro de Atacama