San Pedro de Atacama Travel Answers

change location

Getting to Uyuni after doing the Salar de Uyuni Tour and spending a few nights in San Pedro

by Rancey1 Online Now Oct 19, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Hi,

I have been looking around a bit but can't find a definitive answer one way or the other. I have read that it is possible to start in Uyuni to do the 3-4 day tour and finish in San Pedro, but I'm not sure if it's possible to go back to Uyuni after spending a few nights in San Pedro directly or whether I would have to do the tour or find some other way to get back?

I really want to head to La Paz after the tour but I also want to spend a few nights in San Pedro if possible (and worthwhile). The other option I was looking at was possible heading over to Salta after San Pedro and flying from there to Santa Cruz and onto La Paz...To be honest I don't know anything about Salta and don't really know if it's a good place to see or not.

Thanks

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Getting to Uyuni after doing the Salar de Uyuni Tour and spending a few nights in San Pedro

by ElDesierto Online Now Oct 19, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Northwest Argentina, the area around Salta is an interesting region for traveling. It has an andean feeling to it and is more developed than Bolivia. It is a good region for slowing the trip before the more difficult traveling ahead in Bolivia. The Salta region is especially nice late in the year when summer begins. When I was there, you could travel by bus directly from San Pedro de Atacama to Salta. San Pedro de Atacama is an excellent place to kick back. There was a nice Christmas dance when I was there some years back. If you have the time, travel overland through the Humahuaca valley from Salta to Tupiza or Tarija, Bolivia then north through Potosi to La Paz. It is an interesting journey.

Buen Viaje,
    ElDesierto

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near San Pedro de Atacama