San Pedro de Atacama Travel Answers

change location

tour companies

by rene82 Online Now Feb 20, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with specific tour companies in San Pedro de Atacama? I am interested in doing the typical Tatio Geyser tour, Valle de la Luna sunset tour, and Altiplano Lagoons tour. I want a company that speaks English, is knowledgeable, and gives us plenty of time to walk around, rather than spending most of the trip being carted around in a van. I've been trying to book with Cosmo Andino for the last two weeks, but they haven't responded to my emails. So, I'm trying out Cactus tours, Desert Adventures, Vulcano Expediciones, and Atacama Connections. Any tips would be appreciated.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

Re: tour companies

by kiwigal_1 Online Now Feb 22, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Hi

I used Cactus Tours and had no troubles whatsoever. I have a feeling that the tours you mention are pretty standardised across most of the agencies. Due to distance you will have some time in the vans but I remember our guide being perfectly happy engaging in conversation/asking questions from the group. At El Tatio and Valle de la Luna we were given free time to walk around and a general time in which to return to the van. I found that the time we were given was adequate on both accounts.

Cheers,
    Rhianon

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: tour companies

by newsted1981 Online Now Mar 1, 2010 at 4:21 AM

Hi, I sent tons of mails to agencies trying to get the best info to book for a tour. My advise is to go there and negociate personaly. San Pedro de Atacama is very small town, everything is close and for sure you can book tour for the next day under better terms and better conditions.

For sure it's more expensive than another Chilean places because closest city is 100 kilometres from there.

My tour wasn't very nice because guy didn't speak english and he wasn't very friendly. Also we had the chance to get into the hot springs too early when all the rest of people waited a little bit more when the sun was up and weather condition was much more proper.

You must knwo that Tatio Geyser is 4200 metres high and you must leave San Pedro de Atacama around 4-4:30 am. Temperatures in winter can reach -20 celcius.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near San Pedro de Atacama