San Pedro de Atacama Travel Answers

change location

How to come back to San Pedro from Uyuni quickly after the 3 days salar tour?

by fab1010 Online Now Nov 4, 2009 at 7:04 AM

Hi,
My girl friend and I will be in Santiago mid December and would like to do the 3days/2nights Salar de Uyuni tour starting from Uyuni and ending in San Pedro.

The problem is that we only have 5 days starting from / coming back to Santiago (we have to be back in Santiago for a wedding). Is it feasible?
The main question is how to get to the start of the tour in Uyuni quickly enough from Santiago. Our current best guess is to fly to Calama and find a 1 day transport to Uyuni from there but I can’t see any (the only transport I found so far is the 3 days San pedro to Uyuni tour…). Any suggestion?

Alternatively we could start the tour from San Pedro but then would have to find a quick (1 day max) and reliable transport to come back from Uyuni to San Pedro. Suggestions most welcome here again.

Also do we have to book these tours in advance in that period (mid december) to make sure we get one when we arrive (we would like to join a 6 people tour… private tours are just too expensive)… given our time constraint, we can’t really wait for a few days...

Thanks a lot for your help
Fab

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • gfinesilver's Profile Photo

Re: How to come back to San Pedro from Uyuni quickly after the 3 days salar tour?

by gfinesilver Online Now Nov 4, 2009 at 9:35 AM

why don't you just do a tour starting and ending in san pedro? it is the exact same. virtually all tours offer either to start and end in uyuni or san pedro, or start in one and end in the other. so you don't have to organize your own transport.
    you probably don't need to book ahead, there are many agencies. i would stay away from Colque, they are pretty crap.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: How to come back to San Pedro from Uyuni quickly after the 3 days salar tour?

by fab1010 Online Now Nov 4, 2009 at 9:54 AM

ah... I thought the tours leaving from / ending in San Pedro didn't go to Uyuni, which, as far as I could read, seems to be the best part.
    Good to hear that they do, that's definitely the way to go...
    thx!
    Fab

• gfinesilver's Profile Photo

Re: How to come back to San Pedro from Uyuni quickly after the 3 days salar tour?

by gfinesilver Online Now Nov 5, 2009 at 9:38 AM

you will go to the salar de uyuni, but not end up in uyuni, the town. check with an agency beforehand just to make absolutely sure, but that's the way i always remember it being.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near San Pedro de Atacama