San Pedro de Atacama Travel Answers

change location
onelastplace's Profile Photo

Atacama Desert Vacation

by onelastplace Online Now Oct 3, 2005 at 8:24 AM

We arrive Santiago on Monday the week before Easter. Having been to Patagonia, the wine country and Valparaiso, we want to explore the atacama. We usually travel on our own so my questions are:
1. Are roads good to drive from atafongasta to san pedro? Do we need to rent a 4 wheel drive for travelling around the atacama?
2. Sites to see on the trip to atacama?
3. recommendations for lodging in San Pedro?
4. recommendations for sites to see or treks ?
5. Are there special Catholic services at San Pedro on Easter morning the we should not miss?
Thanks for any help on any of these issues.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • LuisGuimaraes's Profile Photo

RE: Atacama Desert Vacation

by LuisGuimaraes Online Now Oct 5, 2005 at 4:33 PM

Q1. Are roads good to drive from atafongasta to san pedro? Do we need to rent a 4 wheel drive for travelling around the atacama?
    A1: Roads are really ok. I went by bus, so they can't be bad, as you imagine. Around Atacama, I'd suggest beautiful mountainbike rides, but a 4-wheeler might be cool too, as roads around there are not paved.

Q2. Sites to see on the trip to atacama?
    A2. I went by bus, the scenery is spectacular: desert on one side, the PAcific at the other..as my bus was almost non-stop, no idea what to see in between

Q3. recommendations for lodging in San Pedro?
    A3. Most places are cheap and clean. "Caracoles" street is packed with hotels. Don't worry about that. IF u want something fancy, I heard there is a new eco-hotel (5 star) there.

Q4. recommendations for sites to see or treks ?
    A4. If you're strong enough, ride to valle de la luna to see the sunset. unmissable. otherwise, go by car lol there are also other bike rides you can make, just explore. the scenery is amazing around S. PEdro.
    I hear the Uyuni Salars are amazing, never been though. oh and: the geyser tour sucks

Q5. Are there special Catholic services at San Pedro on Easter morning the we should not miss?
    A5. Don't know.

Email me if u need

cheers!

Luis

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Atacama Desert Vacation

by kurtolga Online Now Dec 15, 2005 at 10:30 AM

1. the road from atafongasta to san pedro is very good.
    2. in san pedro you do not need a 4 wheel drive for travelling around.
    3. do not book a room in san pedro to the internet. they ask you a deposit
    and you get the worst. unfortunately the people are not honest and try
    to cheat. i had a very bad experience with the EL TATIO HOTEL AND WITH
    THE AGENCY COSMO ANDINO. A DO NOT RECOMEND THEM.
    ENYOY.
    KURT

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near San Pedro de Atacama