San Pedro Sula Travel Answers

change location
maggiefoss's Profile Photo

How would I get from San Pedro sula to a beautiful beach area ?

by maggiefoss Online Now Jan 29, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Hi- my daughter and I will be volunteering at an orphange in San pedro de sula and want to take a small side trip to a beach area--does anyone have a good suggestion? We would like to stay for 1 or 2 nights? we would have to go by bus. thanks

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

Re: How would I get from San Pedro sula to a beautiful beach area ?

by kiwigal_1 Online Now Jan 30, 2009 at 3:18 AM

Hi there,

It has been a long time since I was in Honduras but I am sure not much has changed with regards to transport.

The beaches you could look to go to are Tela and/or La Ceiba. I lived in Tela for a year in 94.

You need to get a bus to El Progreso and there you change to a bus that goes to Tela. In Tela you can get buses to La Ceiba.

From memory, the buses that leave SPS for El Progreso left from a bus depot not far from the plaza. The buses were frequent but none of the buses were direct (ie. stops along the way, so slow). Best to leave in the morning and it will take about 5 hours probably with all the stops etc. unless the service and roads have improved since 96 when I was last there!

You might want to take a look at my Honduras and Tela pages on VT also.

Cheers,
    Rhianon

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

by kiwigal_1 Online Now Jan 30, 2009 at 3:26 AM

By the way, I just did a quick google search and found this advice which is more up to date: "If you are taking the public bus your best option would be to choose Hedman Alas, a first class service coach operator that has non stop service from San Pedro Sula to Tela". which I found on: honduras.com/hondurastips/en...

This service wasn´t in operation when I was in Honduras but it sounds like an excellent option compared with how I used to have to travel.

Cheers,
    Rhianon

• Re: How would I get from San Pedro sula to a beautiful beach area ?

by gypsytraveller29 Online Now Jan 30, 2009 at 6:09 AM

Hi!
    I was in San Pedro Sula recently and you will be happy to know they finally have a new bus terminal closer to the airport! This was great news when I arrived and needed to get to La Ceiba quickly and cheaply. Hedman Atlas is one of the most expensive bus companies in Honduras and they claim they are faster but they are not faster than most other couch buses that are half the price. When you arrive at the bus station in San Pedro Sula, you can actually go from counter to counter and look at prices and times but it usually always takes 3.5 hrs to get to La Ceiba from San Pedor Sula, and costs about5 US/one way. One cheaper company is Diana Express.
    I'm advising going to La Ceiba because there are ferries that go to the Bay of Islands, which is beach paradise. If you have 3 days minimum, I would advise going to Roatan. The ferry is about40 return, and most hostels or rooms cost about10-15 a night on the islands (give or take). There is great snorkelling, diving, and it is tourist friendly. I've spent over half a year volunteering and travelling in Honduras, and I highly recommend seeing at least one of the islands (Utila is also nice). The ferry leaves for Roatan 9:30am and 2pm (last time I checked but times can change).
    Hope that helped! If you have more questions, I know Honduras well.

• maggiefoss's Profile Photo

by maggiefoss Online Now Jan 30, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Thanks so much for the info! i would love to go to Roatan. I'm not sure we will have the time, as we are at the orphanage most of the time-but Maybe we will have some extra time. I might ask you for more info. thanks again! Martha

by RonJ Online Now Jan 31, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I was in Honduras last August so the info is current as of then. For just a couple of days on a beach that is generally uncrowded (as opposed to some in Roatan) I would head to Tela. The Hedman Alas bus service runs from San Pedro Sula directly To Tela. The bus stops in Tela at its office right at the Villas Telemar Resort. You can pre buy bus tickets online from Hedman Alas in order to reserve a seat when you want it. The site is (or was) unsecure so you do take a little chance on security this way. The beaches there are good and also you can take a day side trip or two that are arranged by Garifuna Tours (office in Tela and you can also prebuy on line). There are good boat trips to Punta Sal National Park, trips by Kayak in the Punta Izopo lagoon, and by van and boat to Miami (a genuine Garifuna village). Staying at the Villas Telemar might be a good choice. I always like to stay at the Maya Vista (a cab ride from the bus stop, a good view point, a climb up a hill, and not so near a beach). Look at ww.hondurastips.honduras.com for a lot of good Honduras information.

by gypsytraveller29 Online Now Jan 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM

No problem at all. I'm going to be in Honduras in 11 days and I'm also doing some volunteering at an orphanage. What orphanage are you volunteering with in San Pedro Sula? I'm going to bring some donated supplies with me and if they need anything, I'd be happy to drop it off.

As for beaches, Roatan is a trip for a couple of days so if you dont have the time, Tela would be a good idea.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near San Pedro Sula