San Pedro Sula Travel Answers

change location
goldminer's Profile Photo

Train from Puerto Cortes to San Pedro or Tela

by goldminer Online Now Feb 5, 2006 at 8:52 PM

Can anybody tell me about the train? I've heard that it goes to both Tela and San Pedro Sula. Can anyone tell me what the fare is and what the schedule is? If anyone has traveled both routes, which is the best? Thanks, Bobby

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: Train from Puerto Cortes to San Pedro or Tela

by cmeador Online Now Feb 6, 2006 at 4:00 AM

Bobby -

I have not done this personally. The following information is from Honduras Tips Magazine and may well be dated:

There is regular railroad service between Puerto Cortes and Tela. The service, which departs from the Puerto Cortes Railroad Station operates on Fridays and Sundays. At time of print, the fare is Lps. 12.00 per person. Departure is at 7:00 a. m from Puerto Cortes, with an arrival at Tela around 11:00 a.m. From Tela, the departure for Cortes is at 1:00 p.m. with a 6:00 p.m. arrival at Puerto Cortes.

This is the old banana route from Tela to the port. It does not appear that there is service to San Pedro Sula.

Have a great trip!

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

Charlie Meador

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goldminer's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Train from Puerto Cortes to San Pedro or Tela

by goldminer Online Now Feb 6, 2006 at 5:30 PM

Thank you Charlie! We will be there around the end of Feb. Will meet the rest of our group at San Pedro Sula 2 March we hope! Thanks again, Bobby

• RE: RE: Train from Puerto Cortes to San Pedro or Tela

by a601mom Online Now Feb 18, 2006 at 2:18 PM

Be careful of this- I was there a year ago in Tela and waited and waited for the train. I finally found out from one of the store owners in the area that" we know that the train is going from Tela to Puerto Cortes, only when it arrives from Puerto Cortes". I also noted a lot of weeds growing on the train tracks.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near San Pedro Sula