San Pedro Sula Travel Answers

change location

car rental Honduras

by thesaurusspot Online Now Feb 17, 2005 at 1:40 PM

My mother and I are traveling to Honduras for the first time at the end of February. We are flying into San Pedro Sula and going directly to Lago do Yojoa to stay at a hotel off the lake. Should we rent a car or are the busses fairly easy/ reliable? We don't want to get stuck in Central Honduras miles away from the hotel. Any advice is really appreciated as well as car rental and driving experiences.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • mle267's Profile Photo

Re: car rental Honduras

by mle267 Online Now Jan 22, 2005 at 7:10 AM

from my experience of living in honduras for a year, the roads can be quite bad in places. bus travel, is well...bus travel in the third world. reliable is not the word i would use, but they did always get me where i needed to go. will you and your mom be up to it? then it shouldnt be a problem. write me if you ahve more questions...-emily

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: car rental Honduras

by col_e Online Now Feb 17, 2005 at 1:40 PM

Hi there, Having lived in Honduras and re visited I can tell u that the car rental companies located in San Pedro Airport are no different to those of the States/ Canada, UK etc. They are companies such as Avis and Hertz. Driving is a different story. The main road from the north of the country to the south is pretty varied. At times u will find straight comfortable road, however likewise u will find twisty, potholed, crazy roads!!! Driving can be quite stressful if ur not used to the Honduran way. For example, buses and bannana trucks overtaking u on blind corners in the middle of the night with driving rain!!!!! BUT having said all that, I would far rather take a rental car than try to travel to the beautiful hotels that lie pretty far off the main road at Lago Yajoa. You would need to take a 1st Class coach that would let you off at the Road End of LAgo Yajoa, then wait for one of the local buses (American yellow school buses) to take you the rest of the way.... when this bus will come along is as good a guess as any! OR you could opt for the school bus all the way..... however having done that i wouldnt recomend it! You will have a wonderful time, and dont let all the above put u off. Honduras is a wonderful country which i love and will continue returing there as long as i can! Make sure u eat fish in one of the many resturants which line the lake, which im sure you will! Have fun.

• RE: car rental Honduras

by fivecats1 Online Now Mar 1, 2005 at 2:41 PM

My husband and I rented a car in Tegucigalpa this past June and were armed with no more than a simple road map of Honduras and had no problem getting all the way to San Pedro Sula on our own (the road is FINE and well paved) - and we went right by the Lago you mention, although we didn't stop. Just make sure you have a map, and I wouldn't drive at night (if for no other reason than you're in a strange place you're not familiar with). The side roads are sometimes gravel or dirt, but the roads to the main towns in the area you're talking about are paved and fine. Just go with a major company like Avis (I think that's who we used), and you'll be fine. Keep in mind that nearly all the rental cars (if not all of them) are stick shift, not automatic.

• Re: car rental Honduras

by macthefish Online Now Jan 7, 2008 at 8:05 PM

I don't have an answer, however my 83-year old mother and I hope to be going to Yojoa in mid-March for 2 nights.

I'm working a 10-night itinerary that doesn't include renting a car. So far its 1N San Pedro Sula (jet lag/Museum), 2N Tela (Los Micos tour to Garifuna village, Lancetilla Botanical Gardens), 2N Yojoa (birding, canoeing), 4N Copan (birding, Santa Semana, ruinas), 2N to be determined. Would be interested to find out about public transportation. The Hedman bus company has a good site.

Kay

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near San Pedro Sula