San Marino Travel Answers

change location

TRAVEL GUIDE

by figaro7 Online Now Apr 14, 2007 at 9:04 PM

Hi! How long is the journey from Bologna to San Marino BY BUS / TRAIN?
Anything nice/ intersting to see in San Marino, since I've only 6 hours to cover the whole city?
Is there any one day tour from Florence to San Marino?
Thanks!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: TRAVEL GUIDE

by mccalpin Online Now Apr 14, 2007 at 9:16 PM

How do you know that you have 6 hours to see San Marino, if you don't know how long it will take you to get there?

You normally take the train from Bologna to Rimini - see http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html for travel times. From Rimini, you take a bus to San Marino...I don't remember how long the trip was - 45 minutes? an hour? I am sure that if you look at VTers' San Marino pages here, you will find the answer.

There might be direct buses - check www.italybus.it - but it's only in Italian...

In San Marino, you mostly walk along the crest of the sandstone ridge between the three "rocche" (castles), and buy a very gaudy "visa" for your passport to prove that you were there ;-). Actually, I spent the night there...a thunderstorm come up from the west and ran into the sandstone ridge, so my hotel was in the middle of the lightning...kind of memorable ;-)

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DueSer's Profile Photo

Re: TRAVEL GUIDE

by DueSer Online Now May 25, 2007 at 5:42 PM

As far as I know, there is only one way to get to San Marino - take the train from Bologna Centrale station to Rimini and then catch a bus right outside the station in Rimini. Depending on which train connection you get from Bologna, the ride to Rimini takes about 45 min - one hour ten min and the bus ride from Rimini to San Marino takes about 50 minutes.

When I visited San Marino I felt I saw everything I wanted to see and I was only there for about 3 1/2 hours so you should be just fine with 6 hours, unless you're counting travel time from Bologna in there. If so, 6 hours will be cutting it close. Also something to bear in mind, the bus to San Marino doesn't leave every hour. It goes about 6 times a day between, I believe, 8am and 6pm. If you arrive at just the wrong time you might have more than an hour to wait for the next bus.

It's a fun place to visit tho - gorgeous views.

Bon Voyage!:-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular San Marino Travel Answer Locations