San Marcos La Laguna Travel Answers

change location

What is the best way to get from the Guatemala City airport to San Marcos?

by CarolinaLainie Online Now Dec 20, 2006 at 7:20 AM

Any ideas on the best travel to San Marcos? We heard that we could spend100 to take 2 of us directly by shuttle. This seems expensive. Can we take a bus directly to Panachel? How long does that take and how much? Then how easy is it to get a boat across the lake? Do they run frequently? Is this a difficult journey to negotiate with limited Spanish?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RE: What is the best way to get from the Guatemala City airport to San Marcos?

by JJDelmonte Online Now Dec 20, 2006 at 9:34 AM

Hi there: Are you talking about San Marcos La Laguna or the city of San Marcos in the state of San Marcos (a 6-hour trip). You need to specify, because maybe that's why they're quoting such a high rate of100. My best guess is, that you're talking about San Marcos La Laguna at Lake Atitlan. Some of the shuttle van companies have web sites and they have the fares posted.www.turansa.com or www.guatemalalturistica.com If I am not mistaken the average fare from the airport to panajachel is about US$25 p/p to antigua is10 p/p if you arrive during normal hours. Like I said before If you arrive kind of late at night, then you may to arrange for a private van. Then of course they might very well charge you double the fare. Its about a two-hour trip. I don't recommend you take chicken buses. They are driven by reckless drivers and their fatalitiy rate is high. At the lake you can pretty much go to any of the towns around the lake by boat. They have a pretty frequent schedule. It is like public transportation. It is safe, and the fare is not that much. I recommend you get yourself one of those phrase books. I used one when I was stationed in Germany about 40 years ago, and it helped me a lot.Of course speaking spanish helps you with any romance language.And some of the guatemalan indian dialects sound like german. But any way, going back to your question. The asnwer is no, you shouldn't have any problem communicating with the people in guatemala using limited spanish. If you have any additional questions just let me know. Good luck and happy holidays.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RAZOR-REN's Profile Photo

RE: RE: What is the best way to get from the Guatemala City airport to San Marcos?

by RAZOR-REN Online Now Dec 20, 2006 at 12:30 PM

I AM GUESSING THAT YOU MEAN THE SAN MARCOS ON LAKE ATITLAN.

THERE IS A CHEAPER WAY TO TRAVEL, YOU CAN USE ONE OF THEM CHICKEN BUSES. BUT BE WARNED, IT CAN BE HECTIC ON ONE OF THESE PLUS THE DRIVERS DRIVE LIKE PSYCHOS ON THE ROAD.

ABOUT BOATS FROM PANAJACHEL, I THINK THEY ONLY DO IT IN THE MORNINGS AS THE LAKE CAN BE DANGEROUS LATER IN THE DAY IF I REMEMBER RIGHTLY. IT PROBABLY COSTS AROUND Q20 OR SO FOR THE BOAT FARE AND THEY DON'T USUALLY SAIL OFF UNTIL THEY GOT ENOUGH PASSENGERS.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines