San Juan de la Maguana Travel Answers

change location
englishman007's Profile Photo

Constanza to San Juan de la Maguana

by englishman007 Online Now Mar 22, 2009 at 6:44 AM

Hi, I am travelling to Constanza in May and wondered if I can get over the Cordillera with the gua gua to San Juan, instead of going all the way back to Azua/...does San Juan have anythign to offer ? Would it be worth spending a night there to get a local feel? thanks Mike

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Re: Constanza to San Juan de la Maguana

by marielexoteria Online Now Mar 23, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Unfortunately and as far as I know there's no way to go from Constanza to San Juan without going to Azua :(

Anything to offer? Well, you can go see the Indian Ceremonial Park in the road to Juan de Herrera, the Cathedral...maybe you can fish in one of the dams. If you have the chance, borrow the latest Lonely Planet DR guide from the library but if you can't, I can copy/paste the info here later today or this week.

What I read about San Juan in terms of visiting, is that the city is what the country used to be not too long ago, with a slow pace and what not. I can't give you an unbiased opinion because my parents come from there, so I'd definitely say that you should go and stay for 1 night :D

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • englishman007's Profile Photo

by englishman007 Online Now Mar 24, 2009 at 1:07 AM

You know something - I think you have just given me the idea I need- I am so tired of the tourist thing in the capital- I want to see the real deal, sit back, have a beer with the locals and relax.... I think you have just given me some great ideas... but I wish there was a way across the mountains- it seems so close on the map!!! what about Azua - is there much there? thanks again- you are incredibly helpful Mike

by marielexoteria Online Now Mar 24, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Hey Mike, glad to be of service :)

I know that there's a hiking trail (a difficult one) from San Juan to Pico Duarte. It's long and extenuous (spell?) and supposedly only those with a LOT of hiking experience should use it with the necessary equipment.

I don't know much about Azua because I haven't been there. I'll check my LP guide and come back to you. I'm heading to Baní for a day trip in April, tho. I'll be hitting the sand dunes (Dunas de las Calderas), the salt mine at Las Salinas and the few sights in the city. Baní is roughly about 1.5-2 hours from San Juan. Something else you can see is the beaches in Baní and Ocoa, which some say are good for windsurfing and some sort of kite water sport (forgot which one, sorry).

If you're into sweets then you simply must not miss our version of dulce de leche from Baní.

by englishman007 Online Now Mar 24, 2009 at 1:29 AM

Thanks - I've copied your notes into my guide! You are very helpful- do you work for the Dominican tourist authority? If not - you should.!! I plan to spend my time this time doing a bit of a tour- I'll be there only 8 days but can see enough. I really want to get away from all the tourist stuff this time- I've been to the DR many times, but I've never REALLY seen it if you know what I mean. I love it- I want to live there some day- the peeople are extremely agregarious and I know I will love it. And I want to help. I plan to travel by guagua everywhere. Stay in small places. I will have my Dominican companion with me( from a place called La caleta- known him for a few years now).. I think we will have a good time. It will even be an adventure for him I think.. thanks for all you help- I'llwrite a blog when I get back.. Love MIke

by marielexoteria Online Now Mar 24, 2009 at 2:05 AM

Nah, I'm just a Dominican girl living in Europe :-)

I'm eager to show tourists the part of the country that they don't get to see when they stay at All Inclusives.

Your friend will undoubtedly be an asset in helping you out with the language and the how-to's.

I applaud you for wanting to get out of the tourist places (which aren't bad but still) and trying to get a local feel. I hope you can read my tips when I come back (I'll be back in Europe in late April and will start writing tips then) and I'll look forward to read what you have to write :-)

by marielexoteria Online Now Mar 24, 2009 at 3:41 AM

Mike, sorry. LP doesn't have much about Azua, San Juan or Baní. The guide that I remember has a little more info is the one by National Geographic but I returned it to the library.

What LP mentions in Baní are the beaches by the salt mine, with a view of Bahía de Ocoa (Ocoa bay) and there's a beach that most tourist don't go to called Playa Derrumbao, at the very far end of the dunes.

About Azua, they mention 2 beaches: Playa Río Monto and Playa Blanca.

by englishman007 Online Now Mar 26, 2009 at 7:13 PM

a question not related Mariel- I love Bachata- listening right now to Kiko Rodriguez ":Insensible a ti" - but I have no idea whathe means by " roba mis latidos" - literally " robs my beatings" - is it an expression?

by marielexoteria Online Now Mar 27, 2009 at 12:02 AM

I haven't heard the song but you're right, although I'd say it like "(she) steals my heart beats". You have the right idea tho!

by englishman007 Online Now Mar 27, 2009 at 3:17 AM

ah aha.. now I get it.. heart beat! I'm thinking he's getting attacked , beaten up... now I understand... thank you- Spanish lyrics sometimes can be very tricky for a foreigner- your really have to look at them in the big picture all taken together, because literal translation from a computer really doesn 't work too well... thanks so much... can;t wait for May.. where are you in Europe Mariel( I was born in the UK)? thanks Mike

by marielexoteria Online Now Mar 27, 2009 at 6:28 AM

I'm in Vikingland Sweden :-) I can't wait till 2 weeks from yesterday when I'm gonna get on a plane to my mother country :) (unfortunately I'll miss you tho but I can give you a report on Baní and San Juan).

I agree, lyrics can't be translated just like that but you have to have the whole sentence. However, I think you did good despite you thinking he was getting attacked hehehe.

Mind you, what does an Englishman like you do in the US of A?

by englishman007 Online Now Mar 29, 2009 at 7:32 AM

work at JFK for Fedex- been here 25 years- life is good... and the D R is only 3 hours away!!!

by marielexoteria Online Now Mar 29, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Damn you ;)

by englishman007 Online Now Mar 30, 2009 at 3:32 AM

sometimes life is good!

by marielexoteria Online Now Mar 30, 2009 at 3:33 AM

You're right :)

If I may, how come you're going down to DR so often (you can)? (And by all means, continue visiting!)

by englishman007 Online Now Mar 31, 2009 at 1:16 AM

someone special

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near San Juan de la Maguana