San Juan Travel Answers

change location
Nat05A's Profile Photo

First Time Renting an Apartment

by Nat05A Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Hi, I am traveling to Puerto Rico this Christmas season with my husband, 3 year old son, parents, mother-in-law and sister-in-law. I really prefer to rent an apartment/condo since it's more economical than staying at a hotel plus I get to enjoy the benefits of not being in a cramped hotel room. I'm looking at reviews and listings on Homeaway.com and VRBO.com. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations? I admit this is my first time so I'm really nervous. Any suggestions on how to go about picking a nice place would be appreciated:)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • monicarc's Profile Photo

Re: First Time Renting an Apartment

by monicarc Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I haven't rented in Puerto Rico, but have in krakow and in Budapest and soon will again (hopefully!) in Dubrovnik. I would recommend you first determine what area you want to stay, you might find a great deal, but it's totally far away from what you want to see. Next, read all the reviews from past renters, I look on tripadvisor for that, if there are no reviews, be wary. Also, I would avoid any place you have to pay in full upfront. In Budapest we paid a partial deposit and in krakow the apart,met was through a company, so we actually just paid that at the end of our stay like a hotel. Also, look at all the pictures, make sure the apt is big enough for your needs.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

Re: First Time Renting an Apartment

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM

They are both the same company. I have used them three times and it's always worked out well. I like the Humaco area of PR as it's not as hectic as in Old San Juan. OSJ is fun for a couple of nights, but any thing longer would get old.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines