San Jose Travel Answers

change location
dawnelle27's Profile Photo

Whats the best way to travel

by dawnelle27 Online Now Jun 13, 2007 at 9:03 AM

I may be heading to san francisco in August and would like to check out the Winchester house in San Jose. How long is the commute and what is the best way of transportation. I am from San Antonio and not familiar with other forms of transportation besides a bus--thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • PR-7's Profile Photo

Let me ask the FIRST question

by PR-7 Online Now Jun 13, 2007 at 9:52 AM

Why exactly are you planning to visit this house? It's big, yes, and its construction is often haphazard; but, other than that, there's no particular reason to visit it. The story, that Ms. Winchester continued to build the house due to fears of being haunted, is false -- even the guides admit that. The biggest mystery I can find after making my visit is why anyone would go to the expense and trouble of visiting something that's no more than a large Victorian-style house.

If you do decide to go here, this link should give you options for mass transit for getting to the San Jose area

www.sanjose.com/transit/masstransit.shtml

and this one for getting around once you're there:

www.vta.org

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JonoMan's Profile Photo

Re: Whats the best way to travel

by JonoMan Online Now Jun 13, 2007 at 10:13 AM

Hey! It's about a 45 minute drive from San Francisco. Renting a car would be the best and easiest method.

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

Re: Whats the best way to travel

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Jun 13, 2007 at 4:52 PM

It is worth seeing, once! While, I haven't used it the Cal Train runs a commute line up and down the area. www.caltrain.org might give you more information. Plus, it would be a great way to see some of the area without fighting the traffic. Also check http://supersightseeing.com/ for a bus tour they do from SF to the house and other locations in the area.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines