San Jose Travel Answers

change location
DJStarr's Profile Photo

Best place to locate in the SF/SanJose area for techie & artist couple

by DJStarr Online Now Sep 26, 2005 at 12:07 PM

Hi all,
We're relocating to the Bay area, (born here in CA!)and will be looking for jobs AFTER we pick a place to live. Where would be a good central area to position oneselves for job convenience for a Tech-guy (Oracle, AbInitio, ETL,Data Warehousing,etc.) and an artsy, design/marketing gal?
We're considering Mtn. View, San Mateo, Palo Alto, San Jose, Sunnyvale, Redwood City, Los Gatos, etc. Love Santa Cruz, but don't want to travel over the hills via 17 daily. The other areas seem central to SF and the San Jose corridors, and most have good CalTrain/BART access. Am I correct here?
We really want a great walking/clean/fun/artsy/gardeny downtown - lots of paths, trails, walk to Whole Foods/Trader Joes, etc. We seem to gravitate toward gay neighborhoods - usually the most architecturally and visually cool areas, it seems! Cool, well-traveled people, not too white or old or suburban.
Any tips or ideas for great little neighborhoods?
Thanks Everybody!
DJ Starr

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: Best place to locate in the SF/SanJose area for techie & artist couple

by pvs Online Now Sep 26, 2005 at 3:05 PM

I would recommend Mountain View. Close to Whole Foods/Trader Joes etc kinda things. There are many town homes/condo etc like communities that are close to CalTrain. Decent downtown plus you are a throw away from Palo Alto University Avenue. If you want BART you have to go to Fremont (other side of Bay) then you will have to cross bay daily to go to Oracle etc. Sunnyvale is not bad but it is probably one notch below Mtn View. Campbell is not bad but Caltrain is not close. If you are interested in Victorian kinda architecture then Willow Glen close to Campbell is good. You probably will have to buy/rent house since that is not a condo kinda area.
    There is a recent development called Santana Row with shops, restaurants (880 & stevens creek). That is my personal favourite since appts/condos are above these shops. If I did not care for house, I would live there. But it is not that close to Caltrain...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines