San José

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Coconut Grove

Dominical Apr 8, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? It seems quite nice, and a good option (ie. meaning it's well reviewwed, around the $100 range and close to the beach).

We're trying to decide between Coconut Grove and Villas Rio Mar, which seems like another great option.

Thanks!

more
    • Liberia to Samara March 27th

Costa Rica Mar 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I'm looking for someone interested in sharing a shuttle or taxi on March 27th 2014 from LIR to Samara. I land around 12:30 and plan on traveling straight to Samara. Thanks, Stephen

more
    • July 5th - 15th in Costa Rica, where to go?

Costa Rica Apr 8, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Hi. My boyfriend and I are staying the night of the 5th in San Jose as our flight arrives late, but from there I get a bit overwhelmed as to where we should go. The only thing we have figured out is to stay on the Pacific coast. He's been to Costa Rica before and spent time in Tamarindo/Liberia/Montezuma, so we're aiming south.

Initially my thought was to rent a house/cabin (or whatever) in the Mal Pais or Santa Teresa area for the entire time and just take day trips, but the more I look into it I'm leaning towards Manuel Antonio, or splitting the time between the 2 places (Manuel Antonio and Santa Teresa). Is it feasible to do the latter? I've never been to Costa Rica so I think my perception of distance is a bit off.

We're looking to mostly enjoy the outdoors on this trip (hike, surf, see some cool wildlife, relax, etc.). The ferry from Puntarenas to Paquera sounds like fun. Ideally if I could roll out of my bed and land directly on the beach that would be great. But we are in our late twenties and wouldn't mind some night life to socialize and make some new friends to party with a bit. That being said making Jaco our "home base" sounds too intense for us.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

more
    • How to get there?

Corcovado National Park Mar 26, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Hey,
      how do you get from Heredia to Corcovado? Is there a some kind of trip possible? Since im travelling alone i would not mind a booked tour for 4 days or something.
      Thank you very much. I would not want to miss Corcovado but its very hard to get there.

more
    • Costa Rica Girls Trip

Costa Rica Mar 19, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Hi Im planning to have a vacation in Costa Rica, does anyone have experience Bachelorette party in Costa Rica?
      I saw page that contains good ideas. Here's the link costaricantimes.com/taking-a...

more
    • rid_gines's Profile Photo

Room in Nosara

Nosara Apr 2, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Hey All!

I will be volunteering at a school in Nosara from September til mid November and am looking for a place to stay. I like having people around. A shared apartment or anything like that would be great. Any ideas on how to find one?

more
    • GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Has anyone traveled on Avianca Airlines?

Costa Rica Mar 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this airline?

more
    • Costa Rica with injured knee

Costa Rica Mar 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Hi guys, I have planned a trip to Costa Rica end of May. Unfortunately I have ruptured my ACL in left knee. Till end of May my knee will recover but I won't have enough time for a surgery so I would have to travel without ACL. That means I'll be able to walk normally and taking stairs. But any non flat surface or unstable surface (as hanging bridges) could be a real problem.
      I will obviously remove all physical activity from the trip. The main thing for me is to see the nature. Do you think it still worth to go? Would I be able to visit all natural parks and volcanos?
      Thanks a ton!

more
    • costa rica my name is don

Costa Rica Mar 18, 2014 at 6:37 AM

where to go in costa rica for 2 couples who want to rent an affordable place near the ocean

more
    • is a car necessary?

Dominical Apr 6, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Hello, VTers! We have decided that we're doing 4 nights and 5 days in the Dominical / Quepos / Manuel Antonio area.

We're trying to do it without a car, but I'm not sure if it would make things very inconvenient for us, and it's just not worth it do that area without a car.

We arrive in Quepos via shuttle on the morning of Day 1, and we plan to go straight to Dominical. Would you recommend taking a public bus, or taxi down to Dominical from Quepos, if we don't have a car?

Then we were planning on spending the day in Dominical and Uvita on Days 1 and 2. For Days 3 and 4, we were planning on moving up to Quepos and MA, and then we fly out to San Jose on Day 5.

Would you recommend staying in Quepos / MA for the entire 4 nights, and doing day trips down to Dominical and Uvita? Or is a good idea to spend 2 nights in Dominical, and then 2 nights in Quepos? Do you recommend a car to do this? Or do you think that public transport is adequate? The bus from Quepos to Dominical seems to take 2 hours.

Even in Dominical, it seems it's advisable that we have a car. We were hoping to find accommodations (around $100 per night) in Dominical, but I can't seem to find a good place right in town. The good places seem to be either over $150, or pretty shabby. The places that are reasonable and well rated seem to require a car, as they're just outside of Dominical (ex. Villas Rios Mar).

What are your thoughts in trying to do this area without a car?

Many thanks in advance!

more
    • jacquisuiza's Profile Photo

From Alajuela (town) to Los Chiles

Alajuela Mar 24, 2014 at 3:39 AM

Hi all, I know that there are hourly buses from San José to Ciudad Quesada. I need to go early in the morning from Alajuela to Los Chiles to catch the bus to Caño Negro at 14.00. When and where does the bus leave in Alajuela? I will travel on a sunday, are there fewer buses?

more
    • shuttle from San Jose to Arenal

Costa Rica Mar 22, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Hi, All! Our flight arrives at 10:45am, and there is a shuttle (Interbus) that leaves from San Jose to Arenal at 2:30pm. We have set plans to go to Arenal after landing in SJO.

We would like to buy our tickets for the shuttle, but are concerned that our flight may be delayed or something. We are thinking we'll just buy our ticket when we arrive at the airport, but do you think the shuttle will sell out? Is it advisable to purchase shuttle tickets beforehand?

Thanks!

more

Near San José

• Clothes in March

by Indigosansom Online Now Jan 28, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I am going to spend the month of march in CR..should I pack some jeans, a sweatshirt or a jacket for the evenings/nights?
      I am a woman in my mid 50s, i have traveled in tropical countries before and I know 19C at night can be pleasant or sticky depending on the humidity.
      Thanks
      Karen

5 Answers Mar 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM
    • Tao bar does anyone know this tao bar in san jose?

by vhan Online Now Jan 8, 2014 at 6:17 PM

does anyone know this tao bar in san jose?

3 Answers Jan 8, 2014 at 7:38 PM
    • ajkbliss's Profile Photo

do I absolutely need a 4X4 in August & Sept car rental?

by ajkbliss Online Now Jul 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM

hi there! am planning on coming in 8/15-9/5 from san jose to arenal to western beaches. i do want to explore the country a bit without limitations, but am also really wanting to lay on the beach much of the time. do i really need a 4 wheel drive for this? I read elsewhere yes because of rainy season, but if I stay on main roads as I tool around will that limit me? and if so, to go off the main roads then is a 4X4 necessary? many thanks?

10 Answers Jul 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    • ajkbliss's Profile Photo

is san jose worth spending any time in?

by ajkbliss Online Now Jul 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM

upon arrival into costa rica is it worth spending any time in san jose, or best to head directly out to the waterfalls, volcanoes and/or beaches?
      I have 3 weeks and want as much nature and relaxation and beach as I can get. i'm planning on landing in san jose and trying to decide whether to stay there for the first weekend, or to go directly to the volcanoes and hot springs in arenal and then off to the pacific coast from there

13 Answers Jul 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM
    • mostaque's Profile Photo

How is the pay to enter La Paz water fall

by mostaque Online Now Jun 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Any one know, if I drive in and with out stay in the peace lodge - how much to pay to get in per person

2 Answers Jun 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    • Transport from samara to manuel antonio

by Oskarhenry Online Now Jun 18, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Hi...has anyone tried this?

Sámara Tu, 12/10 dep.
      08:00

Empresa Alfaro

Bus: duration: 10:30h, chg: 2
      Barranca arr.
      10:50

2222-2666

Barranca Tu, 12/10 dep.

11:20

Bus: comes from Puntarenas
      Orotina arr.
      12:00

Orotina Tu, 12/10 dep.
      15:30

Transportes Morales

Bus
      Manuel Antonio arr.
      18:30

2223-5567

I am so worried about suffering getting from samara to manuel antonio! Should i change itineraire?

Thank you

4 Answers Jun 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    • From La Fortuna to SJO

by giordanir Online Now Jun 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I'm looking for recommendations on how to get from La Fortuna/Arenal area to Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJ0) early enough to catch an 11:30am flight. Most shuttles I checked have the earliest departure leaving La Fortuna at 7:30am which is hardly enough time to catch my flight. Help!?

6 Answers Jun 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    • Early arrival in San Jose

by Torloch Online Now May 26, 2013 at 5:55 PM

My two teenage boys and I are flying into San Jose early, 5am.We are planning on taking a shutttle to Monteverde but it doesn't look like it arrives at the airport until 8am.I know with the red eye flight we're
      going to be trashed and hungry.What would be our best plan of action?

6 Answers Jul 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    • Help with Trip to Tegucigalpa, Honduras

by meberedtoo Online Now Feb 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM

In the second week of May I need to be in Tegucigalpa, Honduras on a Wednesday (9th). I am hoping someone can suggest a short trip that I could take, arriving on the previous Friday (4th) or Saturday (5th), and ending in Tegucigalpa on Wednesday. I am currently considering flying into San Jose and traveling by bus through Nicaragua, but not committed to that in anyway.

Other than the definite need to be in Tegucigalpa on Wednesday, I have no other requirements. I would prefer to fly into a major city to keep airfare down (flying in from Major US city), but other than that my budget is pretty flexible. I am also flexible to travel conditions. I need to book my flight soon, so any quick suggestions are appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Travis

1 Answer Mar 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    • 7-days in Costa Rica. Can we really see anything?

by birdcage777 Online Now Jan 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Hi,

My wife and I are investigating a trip to Costa Rica early February for one week. I wanted to get some advice from knowledgeable folks in this forum.

We love the outdoors, love to self-drive when we can and at other times tour using buses, trains, and shuttles. We are looking to hike, explore wildlife, possibly snorkel, and also visit some of the ruins. If time permits, we'd love to visit some of the beaches and also some other adventure tours.

1. Is one week sufficient for us to explore Costa Rica?
      2. If we were to select one or two experiences that we would immerse ourselves in over the course of the week, what would they be?
      3. What cities are a must visit during our stay?
      4. Any suggestions on possible itineraries would be great.

Thanks

1 Answer Feb 8, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    • What time do I need to get to the airport?

by JamieBC Online Now Dec 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM

My Delta flight leaves at 2:15PM on Tuesday, January 2nd going to Atlanta. It is flying out of San Jose, Costa Rica. The tour I am on says they expect to have me at the airport sometime between 11AM - 11:30AM (give or take 30 minutes for traffic issues), since it is a 4-hour drive. They say I should not take that flight because I will risk missing it. If I do not take that flight, I have to stay an extra day, which I do not want to do. I am a Diamond Medallion Delta member - do they have an expedited sky priority check-in lane there and/or a expedited sky priority security line there that might help??? What time do you think a good time would be to arrive? If worse came to worse and I arrived at noon because of a lot of traffic, do you think I would miss my 2:15 flight??
      Thanks for any advice/input! :)

2 Answers Dec 12, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    • Looking for a dentist

by suestyd Online Now Nov 10, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Returning to Costa Rica in March 2012. Looking for a reputable dentist in San Jose who can do a one day dental implant for my friend. Does anyone have any recommendations? Price info would be good too. Thank you

1 Answer Dec 2, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    • MissyWQ's Profile Photo

Cruise ship coral princess arrives where?

by MissyWQ Online Now Oct 5, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Is there anything interesting at the dock?

1 Answer Oct 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    • CR in september

by spydergirl Online Now Sep 7, 2011 at 7:49 PM

HI, I am arriving at San jose airport at 1140 am and plan on going to our hotel at la fortuna/arenal area. What is the best way to get to arenal in a safe and efficient manner? Shuttle buses available? We want to be at La fortuna early so we can enjoy that evening in the hot springs.
      thanks

3 Answers Sep 12, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    • National Theatre

by Joannc49 Online Now Jul 8, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Will be visiting San Jose, arriving 8/11.....How do I puchase tickets for Carmen and what are the prices?

8 Answers Aug 13, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    • Share ride SJO to Los Suenos/Jaco 5/14

by ellen36 Online Now Mar 25, 2011 at 2:24 PM

We(2)have hired top rated private driver 5/14 to take us from SJO to Los Suenos with stops for lunch,grocery & croc's.The cost120. for up to 4 people,$10 each additional if wanted,split evenly plus tip.Will go to Jaco for short tour/delivery for small addional tip.Looked into this since checkin not till 4. We arrive 12ish pickup can be arranged between 1-2pm at airport.Thanks!

• mountain biking ?

by Rnooo Online Now Nov 11, 2010 at 4:27 PM

best places to mountain bike around this area??

1 Answer Nov 30, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    • Which Hostels are good in San Jose?

by koreantupac Online Now Jun 29, 2010 at 11:33 PM

I am not a young partier, just want somewhere easy to get a good night's sleep, clean and affordable. What are your experiences with hostels in San Jose. I wanna hear the good, bad and ugly.

1 Answer Aug 5, 2010 at 8:54 PM
    • Darts bar in San Jose

by Dartoid Online Now Jun 24, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Hi. Can anyone tell me of a bar in San Jose that has a steel tip dartboard? Thanks.

• Help about hotel acomodation

by davis210 Online Now Jun 20, 2010 at 8:55 PM

I need a hotel near the airport does any body know if this website is helpfull
      http://airporthotelscostarica.com/

3 Answers Jul 9, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    • DLMelvin86's Profile Photo

Nightlife & Lodging

by DLMelvin86 Online Now Apr 6, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Where is the best nightlife in San Jose and what are some good moderately priced hotels or hostels that are close to the action?

1 Answer Apr 6, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    • Herradura golf resort and conference center

by imsmurfy36 Online Now Mar 23, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I'm trying to figure out if this is the hotel I stayed at in the late 90's....Did this hotel use to have a real toucan bird in the lobby back in like 1997 or 1998?

1 Answer Mar 23, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    • Day trip to San José

by aleph2000_98 Online Now Feb 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Hello all,
      I will be arriving in San José (from Santo Domingo) on my way to Mexico City.
      Arrival Time 9:38AM Departure: 6:10PM
      Is it a reasonable time frame to do some sightseeing around San José while being able to return on time to catch my flight? If yes, all suggestions and tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 Answer Feb 25, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    • Sarichka's Profile Photo

3 and a half days in CR - stay in San Jose?

by Sarichka Online Now Feb 19, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Hi - We arrive in San Jose on a Thursday afternoon and leave the following Monday. Anyone have suggestions on whether we should book lodging in SJ & just do day trips, or are things close enough where we should get out of the city for a night or two (or the whole trip!)? Thanks!

3 Answers Mar 1, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    • jackevan's Profile Photo

From the airport to Santa Elena

by jackevan Online Now Jan 24, 2010 at 9:47 AM

I know, the proper way to get from San Jose to Santa Elena is via the bus that leaves from San Jose at 2:30 PM. Put I can't get a flight that arrives at the airport in time to make the trip from the airport to the bus station. Anyway, I already have my ticket--I arrive at 3:00 PM. So is there another way? For example, is there a bus that goes from the airport to Santa Elana?
      My alternative is to spend the night and leave the next day, rent a car, or take a taxi for a four hour trip. I don't really want to do any of these.
      I appreciate any advice!

• Theater schedule in San Jose, Costa Rica

by reneekatten Online Now Jan 20, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Is there any kind of schedule for theater performances for Feb 1, 2010?

1 Answer Jan 20, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    • Travel Assistance San Jose.

by Razzal Online Now Dec 29, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Would like to get together with student interperter, or person with English speaking skills. To show me around San Jose, and help me speak to my lady friend. A.

2 Answers Mar 17, 2010 at 5:13 AM
    • WILL TAXI TAKE US TO SAN JOSE

by randy16 Online Now Dec 8, 2009 at 6:26 PM

IF WE ARE STAYING IN LIBERIA? AND WHERE IS THE NIGHT LIFE?

1 Answer Dec 9, 2009 at 9:26 AM
    • sheilamcgurk's Profile Photo

Christmas Cultural events?

by sheilamcgurk Online Now Dec 8, 2009 at 5:52 AM

I am planning a trip to CR to visit friends. I would like to take my niece to a ballet or opera or cultural event in San Jose during the Christmas time from Dec 27-Jan 15...is there anything going on? I noticed the Theatre Nacional does not list anything during this time period. Is the theatre dark during Christmas? We are willing to go to another village or city ..we are located in Flamingo near Tamarindo airport--so we can fly anywhere to see local festivities or theatre, dance music-- Thank you! sheila

• GraydonWilson's Profile Photo

Looking for hotel recommendations

by GraydonWilson Online Now Dec 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM

We will be visiting Costa Rica during the last of February 2010. Can anyone recommend a hotel in or around San José? We are interested in knowing about price, room comfort, cleanliness, noise, safety and so forth.

Thanks.

5 Answers Dec 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM