San José Travel Answers

change location
globeexplorer's Profile Photo

One afternoon and evening in San Jose

by globeexplorer Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Hi all. My hubby and I will be arriving in SanJose March 7th but leaving the next morning. Any advice on what we can do there with so much to see and so little time? What is MUST SEE? (We will then be spending time in Arenal and Guanacaste -- this is just a question for San Jose).

Also - do you have a favorite restaurant to recommend????

Thanks in advance.

Ella

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • giampiero6's Profile Photo

Re: One afternoon and evening in San Jose

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM

A very easy and convenient thing to do is to see the Museum, which I thought was pretty interesting.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM

We weren't able to see the Gold Museum because we were always there on a Monday when it was closed. We went to the Jade Museum instead, and we also wandered through the Artisan's market and at one point went up to the butterfly farm, but I think you can also do that at Arenal.

• globeexplorer's Profile Photo

by globeexplorer Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Thank you!!

• starship's Profile Photo

by starship Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM

We visited the Teatro Nationale which even my husband found interesting. For a few extra colon, we had a guide who was very knowledgeable and friendly (no tipping allowed) -- we happened to be the only 2 people on the tour. Stop for a cool drink or coffee in the cafe on the ground floor for a nice break before going on to see museums if you feel the need.

We had dinner at El Balcon de Europa, which claims to be the oldest restaurant in Costa Rica -- Italian food in a lovely little setting. Other options for typicos Costa Rican food can be found around Old Downtown area as well.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM

starship wrote: We visited the Teatro Nationale which even my husband found interesting. For a few extra colon, we had a guide who was very knowledgeable and friendly (no tipping allowed) -- we happened to be the only 2 people on the tour. Stop for a cool drink or coffee in the cafe on the ground floor for a nice break before going on to see museums if you feel the need.

We had dinner at El Balcon de Europa, which claims to be the oldest restaurant in Costa Rica -- Italian food in a lovely little setting. Other options for typicos Costa Rican food can be found around Old Downtown area as well.

Yes I think the Theatre too - we had lunch there in the little cafe.  Unfortunately we had no guide because they were redoing it when we were there.

by starship Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Amilla, I guess that depends on your target price and whether you want to stay in Old Downtown San Jose. Can you be a little more specific?

by starship Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Can you be more specific about your price range, and whether you expect to stay in downtown San Jose?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines