San Ignacio Travel Answers

change location

Want to Visit San Ignacio

by SSSony12 Online Now Jan 10, 2006 at 9:51 AM

Hi,

We are considering a trip to San Ignacio this year, end of March beginning of April. What is the weather like this time of year? From what I have been reading on this site, it seems that San Ignacio is pretty centralized for caving, Mayan Ruins, etc. Is San Ignacio near the beach or inland? How far from the Airport and what is the best transportation and place to stay?

Thank you for any and/or all your help.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • thatsmymoo's Profile Photo

RE: Want to Visit San Ignacio

by thatsmymoo Online Now Jan 10, 2006 at 2:33 PM

Just came from San Ignacio, great for Mayan ruins, A.T.M. is a MUST ! The local guides I talked with said it will be shut to the public in two years or less as there has been a lot of damage to the artifacts within. The cave tubing was a lotta fun also. Don't think there's alot else major to do in that town. It's about two hours from Belize City, and another 20 min from the Belize International airport (mind you it took the chicken bus I was on 3 or more hours) Public transport in Belize is luck of the draw, at the moment. Have fun !
    Carlos

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Want to Visit San Ignacio

by SSSony12 Online Now Jan 10, 2006 at 3:14 PM

Thank you Thatsmymoo for your response -- sent you an e-mail also.

• thatsmymoo's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Want to Visit San Ignacio

by thatsmymoo Online Now Jan 10, 2006 at 7:34 PM

Da nada .... happy to help out, didn't see your email tho' might have been filtered ? ButI don't think so. Cheers, Charlie

• solarone's Profile Photo

by solarone Online Now Jan 12, 2006 at 3:44 AM

Hi, check out my belize page. I disagree with MOO about the bus there, are 2 types
    the local and the express the express is a little more expense but makes only a few stops. Car rental is pricey as is gas but the freedom of movement is worth it to me. I'll be back in Belize Feb.20 to Mar.1

• solarone's Profile Photo

by solarone Online Now Jan 12, 2006 at 3:48 AM

oh, the weather I was in a cold front (temps in the 50'sF) in April one year but I've been 3 times in MAr. Apr. and its ussally 70's nite 80's day, In the hills at nite it may gget into the 60's

• RE: RE: Want to Visit San Ignacio

by bmws Online Now Jun 8, 2006 at 11:42 AM

There are a lot of fun things to do in this area. The ATM is the must see, must do tour. I recommend Mayawalk tours. I also did a combo tour which involved Caracol Mayan Site and Mountain Pine Ridge. Ask for the best guide while you are in San Ignacio. His name is Luis Zaiden. I really had a great time in San Ignacio. I will be back soon.

• Re: Want to Visit San Ignacio

by mamamija Online Now Feb 20, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Lucky you. We drove from Chicago to San Ignacio, beautiful Cayo District in March, 1995----I remember cuz we had to eat at the Chinese hamburger joint every nite to watch the play-offs. We camped in atent at Cosmos Campgrnd--prob condos by now---on the river--Mopan? or Macal? There we met a wonderful river/cave guide, David Simpson, who guided us by canoe to lost ruins, ceremonial mayan cwater caves----Upper Barton Creek. Yes. Yes. Go to Cayo District, stay in the Mayan huts with private bat near Cosmos, find David and go EVERYWHERE!!! We didn't even make it to the coast----Palcencia some day.

• Re: Want to Visit San Ignacio

by mamamija Online Now Feb 20, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Also don't miss the remote jungle capital of Belmopan. Ten years ago you could visit the National Treasury, checking backpacks, to see 3000 years of cultural artifacts like jade masks, eccentric flints, lying on pine board shelves in a cement building. The ancient history here just breathes, pulses, thru the heavy jungel. Bring your OFF. But better than OFF is a local remedy called "jackass bitters" you make a sun tea of its roadside leaves---splash it on at nite and it soothes any itching, then in am take a bath in it so the bugs won't bite. There are bugs. But look for David Simpson. And say "hi" from Banana and Charlie and Leslie at Cosmos Campground. Buena suerte en todo. Nos vemos.

• Re: VOLUNTEERING?

by mamamija Online Now Feb 20, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Anyone know of any volunteer opps in Belize that are NOT glorified vacations. I realize one has to pay for a space to sleep and some food......but for someone young, strong, bilingual and........available NOW.....what is there?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines