San Francisco Travel Answers

change location

Painted Ladies

by schl301 Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

We will be in San Fran for 4 days and there is so much I want to see. I would love to see the Painted Ladies. Should we walk through the neighborhood or look from the park? What else in that area should we do?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Painted Ladies

by goodfish Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I assume you mean these?

"Photo Op" - Alamo Square Tip by goodfish

I did walk here (Alamo Square) and the best viewing point is from one corner of the park. It's not very big so it won't be hard to find the spot. While in that area I walked over to Lower Haight: some very pretty architecture there - although my snaps aren't great.

"Lower Haight" - Haight District Tip by goodfish

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Painted Ladies

by schl301 Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM

goodfish wrote:
    I assume you mean these?

"Photo Op" - Alamo Square Tip by goodfish

I did walk here (Alamo Square) and the best viewing point is from one corner of the park. It's not very big so it won't be hard to find the spot. While in that area I walked over to Lower Haight: some very pretty architecture there - although my snaps aren't great.

"Lower Haight" - Haight District Tip by goodfish

Yes, going to Upper Haight from here may be a good idea..  Seems like something fun to see.  My problem is we only have 4 days to see everything!  Would it be a long walk from the houses to Upper Haight?

• Rixie's Profile Photo

by Rixie Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM

After you've finished poking around the Lower Haight, you can take a bus to Golden Gate Park.

Walk over to the NE corner of Haight and Pierce and catch the 71 Ortega - fare is $2. Get off at Lincoln and 9th (about a 10 minute ride) and walk into Golden Gate Park.

Suggestions on things to do in the Park: "Bison and Turtles and Ducks, Oh My!" - Golden Gate Park Tip by Rixie

by goodfish Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:33 PM

schl301 wrote:

Yes, going to Upper Haight from here may be a good idea..  Seems like something fun to see.  My problem is we only have 4 days to see everything!  Would it be a long walk from the houses to Upper Haight?

LOWER Haight: if you read the review I attached, I mentioned that it's about 4 blocks from Alamo Square. There is also a URL for the general area in that review.  But yes, you can also walk to Upper Haight from there: see the map, and my review: 

"Upper Haight: What a long, strange trip it's been" - Haight District Tip by goodfish

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 12:26 AM

We made a combination of the 'Painted Ladies' and 'Mission Dolores'. We traveled by bus (can't remember the number of the line), which was quite convenient and not too far.
    See: flickr.com/photos/vtveen/673...

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 6:34 AM

I always try to encourage people to walk up there just to get them into some of those great neighborhoods and see an example of one of the several squares in SF. It's very peaceful and it's nice to just stroll along the streets and look at the architecture. The "Full House" houses are just a few of the really amazing Victorians in that area. Walking is best, because parking around there can be problematic, particularly in the summer, when everyone comes up to get pictures.

by schl301 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 7:28 AM

vtveen wrote:
    We made a combination of the 'Painted Ladies' and 'Mission Dolores'. We traveled by bus (can't remember the number of the line), which was quite convenient and not too far. See: flickr.com/photos/vtveen/673...

that sounds like a good plan.  i love to go to old churchs.  we're planning on going to grace cathedral when we're in that area

by goodfish Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Grace is lovely but not particularly old: built 1928 - 1964. St Peter and Paul - in North Beach - is another nice one and around the same age:

"Best Free thing #10: Sts Peter and Paul Church" - San Francisco Things to Do Tip by goodfish

But if you want an old one, you should go to Mission Dolores for sure:

"200 years of history" - Mission Dolores Tip by goodfish

The oldest structure in San Francisco, it's old even by U.S. standards (which our European members can't help but chuckle at a bit.) :O)

by schl301 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

goodfish wrote:
    Grace is lovely but not particularly old: built 1928 - 1964. St Peter and Paul - in North Beach - is another nice one and around the same age:

"Best Free thing #10: Sts Peter and Paul Church" - San Francisco Things to Do Tip by goodfish

But if you want an old one, you should go to Mission Dolores for sure:

"200 years of history" - Mission Dolores Tip by goodfish

The oldest structure in San Francisco, it's old even by U.S. standards (which our European members can't help but chuckle at a bit.) :O)

o wow, that looks beautiful too.  now if i could only get my lazy self to attend the mass.  I  love to explore old churches.  They're so peaceful, it's a nice break in the day to go in and say a prayer.

by schl301 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I think what we will do is this. The day we leave Napa our first stop will be Muir woods. I heard the parking is tough later in the day. Correct? From there drive past the painted ladies and drive around and look at the houses. If by chance we can find a parking spot then we'll take a walk. Is that little park Alamo square? Is there parking there? Anyway, from there I would like to go to Haight Ashbury. Again with the parking, is it just street parking and tough to find a spot? We'll probably have lunch and a drink so maybe a restaurant with a parking lot suggestion? End of the day turn the car in. Not going to keep in for San Fran

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines