San Francisco Travel Answers

change location
samitbabu's Profile Photo

Cheap car rental for 7 days

by samitbabu Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Can anyone suggest a car rental scheme for abt 7 days starting at SFO and ending at Las Vegas during July 2013.
I need a medium sized car --something like Toyta corolla ...and would be travelling from SFO - Yosemite - Los Angeles - LAs Vegas in the tour plan. An estimate would be helpful .
We would be staying at Lombard street and anything close would be helpful.
Thanks ... Answers appreciated ...

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: Cheap car rental for 7 days

by Agraichen Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM

One way drops of rental cars can be quite expensive. I'd "shop" with all the major rental agencies to get a "deal" but I doubt they will vary much. SF is a large rental area as is Las Vegas so they don't like their cars "wandering."

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • westcoastdog's Profile Photo

by westcoastdog Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I generally use Enterprise. However, do a web search and compare prices.

• Re: Cheap car rental for 7 days

by belizeanbus Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM

You may already know this, but sites like kayak.com will compare all of the major rental agencies's rates. As others have mentioned, you will pay quite a premium for dropping it off at another location.

• samitbabu's Profile Photo

by samitbabu Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Thanks Guys and yes rentals are high for a diff location drop off...

...but I do not see an alternative since my tour needs me to follow the route ..

(

Enterprise is not allowing me to pick up anywhere else other than the Airports when it is a multi-location rental, which shoots the price...
    Any more ideas ??

• Re: Cheap car rental for 7 days

by belizeanbus Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM

It might save you some cash to drop off the car in Los Angeles and then fly or take a bus out to Vegas. There is really not much to see on that route anyway, and once you make it to the strip in Vegas, you probably won't need a car.

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Somebody on VT suggest a search site called zoomzoomzoom for rentals. I checked them out for some past rentals I had done and they seemed real cheap had I known about the site. My other current rentals have all been so short it didn't make a dif to use them. I think VT check them out and found them to be legit. When I did a fake booking they gave me a company specific booking number, which did show on the companies www site.

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Most of the car rental agencies in San Francisco are located near Union Square, also you have the car rental agencies at the SFO airport which have been combined into one huge car rental building. Check with autoeurope.com for some pretty good prices but you should do the booking soon, as the smaller cars generally book up quicker. You might also look at the following web sites dollar.com thrifty.com Alamo.com also be aware that there may be a drop off charge since you will not be returning to SFO, many times autoeurope.com can book the car without a drop off charge.

1 member found this helpful

• atufft's Profile Photo

by atufft Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Grab the bags and take BART out to the East Bay and get your car there. The taxes and prices are lower, and you will not have to battle much of the confusing and dangerous traffic SF is known for. Sorry I can't be specific, but Hertz, Avis, and other rental companies have excellent websites for this.

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Prices and taxes may have changed since I departed SF last year for San Diego, but anyone wanting to stay in SF and head south from SF would incur more costs by going to the East Bay which used to have a higher tax rate than SF. Things may have changed on the tax rated but the milage probably has not and the time crossing the Bay Bridge with the current construction wil certainly be an inconvenience to a "tourist."

1 member found this helpful

• samitbabu's Profile Photo

by samitbabu Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 10:31 PM

For everyones update :
    I have now booked yesterday through economycarrentals.com and they selected Dollar as the vendor ...
    I got a rate of 275 USD for six days in July 2013. for a Ford Focus.
    Looked like this was the cheapest I could find for a One way trip(with drop off charge).
    I guess this is the best I could have got for the holiday season there. :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines