San Francisco Travel Answers

change location

Dinner near Mason and O'Farrell

by schl301 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 9:39 AM

We will be staying at the Hilton, corner of O Farrell and Mason. Any suggestions for dinner that we can easily walk to? Dress up, dress down. Also someplace fun to go for a drink. We're on the edge of the tenderloin so not in that directions. Thanks

Quote & Answer
32 Answers
  • ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Re: Dinner near Mason and O'Farrell

by ATXtraveler Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I love Fish & Farm over in that area! 339 Taylor

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM

John's Grill at 63 Ellis Street. One of the oldest restaurants in the city, absolutely great steaks and seafood, but be prepared to pay big bucks $$$$$ Also in Macy's at Union Square there is a Cheescake Factory located on the top floor, with terrace dining if the weather is nice. If it is fish your looking for Tadich Grill the oldest seafood restaurant in the City, it's located at 240 California St, you could walk take you 30 minutes.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

by shrimp56 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I like Puccini and Pinetti: http://www.pucciniandpinetti.com/ and Postrio http://www.postrio.com/ in that area. Just north of Union Square on Powell is Scala Bistro http://www.scalasbistro.com/
    Puccini & Pinetti is probably the least priciest. Scala makes superb and unusual pasta dishes. Postrio has a nice bar.

Have a great time!

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Is a mile walk worth it for a superb restaurant? My suggestion is Kokkari Estiatorio a fabulous Greek and Mediterranean Restaurant in the Financial District and near the bay, so away from the Tenderloin. I was first introduced to place by a friend who works nearby and the food is amazing. I have been twice now and though it is expensive it is worth the cost! The decor inside is wonderful rich tones and nicely designed tables. The food here is among the two or three best restaurants in San Francisco along with Gary Danko's. Everything on the menu from the fish, lamb chops to the appetizers is prepared beautifully and tastes exquisite. You can make a dinner alone on the creative appetizers which include such things as the humus and roasted beets. They must have their own pastry chef because the deserts are incredible. It is definitely a restaurant that you need to make reservations far in advance but it is worth it. Definitely a dress up place but I believe you will be talking about this place for months. If any doubt check some of the reviews from different sources.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:35 AM

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Second for John's Grill. Ate here on my first trip back in 1984 and stills gets good reviews. We had lunch at Tadich Grill on our trip in 2010. I wasn't that impressed for the prices they charged.

My favorite late night spot is The Buena Vista.

"The Best Irish Coffee" - Buena Vista Cafe Tip by riorich55

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Hard to choose a restaurant in San Francisco. Most of them are superb. If you are looking for a gourmet's taste of California cuisine with a distinctive Asian perspective then head across the street to the Hotel Nikko and the Restaurant Anzu. They not only have a great Suchi Bar and Specialty Rolls, but Dungeness Crab Cakes to die for and perfectly prepared steaks. A little bit of everything for the discriminating palate. I enjoyed a delicious Ribeye steak at Anzu, 222 Mason Street. See their webpage for menu and d├ęcor. A great night out in the City by the Bay. http://www.restaurantanzu.com/

• terrilynnmerritts's Profile Photo

by terrilynnmerritts Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 2:42 PM

schl301 wrote:
    We will be staying at the Hilton, corner of O Farrell and Mason. Any suggestions for dinner that we can easily walk to? Dress up, dress down. Also someplace fun to go for a drink. We're on the edge of the tenderloin so not in that directions. Thanks

Onr of my favorites on Mason is Cafe Mason where you can go for breakfast, ,lunch, brunch, dinner, or late night. The food is fresh and "homemade"  and there are a large number of offerings in each category. You can dress up or dress down as you like. It is a very relaxed atmosphere with a friendly staff. Your only problem will be choosing what to try off of their menu. You can't go wrong here. We go here regularly. Their website is at www.cafemasonsf.com  

• Re: Dinner near Mason and O'Farrell

by schl301 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I googled some of these restaurants, thanks for some great suggestions! Anyone know anything about Foley's Irish Pub at O'Farrell and Cyril Magnin , the Urban Tavern or Farallon for a drink to end the night? After a day of walking, buses , cabs etc. we like to end the night with a cocktail when we are close to our hotel.

by schl301 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 8:23 PM

shrimp56 wrote:
    I like Puccini and Pinetti: http://www.pucciniandpinetti.com/ and Postrio http://www.postrio.com/ in that area. Just north of Union Square on Powell is Scala Bistro http://www.scalasbistro.com/ Puccini & Pinetti is probably the least priciest. Scala makes superb and unusual pasta dishes. Postrio has a nice bar.

Have a great time!

scala was recommended by someone else as well so may have to try it!

by schl301 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM

schl301 wrote:
    I googled some of these restaurants, thanks for some great suggestions! Anyone know anything about Foley's Irish Pub at O'Farrell and Cyril Magnin , the Urban Tavern or Farallon for a drink to end the night? After a day of walking, buses , cabs etc. we like to end the night with a cocktail when we are close to our hotel.

opinions?

by schl301 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM

yvr wrote:
    John's Grill at 63 Ellis Street. One of the oldest restaurants in the city, absolutely great steaks and seafood, but be prepared to pay big bucks $$$$$ Also in Macy's at Union Square there is a Cheescake Factory located on the top floor, with terrace dining if the weather is nice. If it is fish your looking for Tadich Grill the oldest seafood restaurant in the City, it's located at 240 California St, you could walk take you 30 minutes.

how bad will the hills be if we walk to california st?

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

If you are talking of walking up to California Street from Union Square it is quite steep, but unless you are very out of shape or have physical limitations you can do it.

• by schl301 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 7:48 AM

ya, I could do it. I just don't want to be a windblown mess for dinner. what road should I start walking up in hopes of grabbing the cable car?

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM

You could walk straight along Powell Street, however if you are thinking about getting on the cable car along the way, you can pretty well forget it and it's not cheap to ride. They generally are packed by the time they leave Powell and Market, where they start out. Take the cable car going to California Street, and get it at Powell and Market and then you can walk back, all down hill and a nice walk, would take you about 20/25 minutes to get back to your hotel.

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Try your luck at catching the Cable Car at Union Square going up the hill. I've never had a problem not getting on in my many trips to San Francisco.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM

riorich55 wrote:
    Try your luck at catching the Cable Car at Union Square going up the hill. I've never had a problem not getting on in my many trips to San Francisco.

I've had the opposite luck: you can get them at the turnaround points (like Union Square) but be prepared to stand in line awhile. I've had much better luck with other forms of public transit. It may all depend on time of day? 

by schl301 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I want to ride it but I also don't want to waste too much time . I know it depends on how many stops they make but approximately how long does it take for the cable car to run its route from the start to the other end of its route? also, I don't know how the streets are but I'm assuming there can only be one car per route at a time, is that correct?

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 5:11 PM

goodfish wrote:

I've had the opposite luck: you can get them at the turnaround points (like Union Square) but be prepared to stand in line awhile. I've had much better luck with other forms of public transit. It may all depend on time of day? 

Kate, Union Square is up a stop from the turnaround point which is near the BART entrance. 

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 5:15 PM

schl301 wrote:
    I want to ride it but I also don't want to waste too much time . I know it depends on how many stops they make but approximately how long does it take for the cable car to run its route from the start to the other end of its route? also, I don't know how the streets are but I'm assuming there can only be one car per route at a time, is that correct?

There are 3 different routes.  The California Route is the shortest and probably takes 10 to 15 minutes from start to finish. (I've never really time it but I believe that is how long it is).  The other routes will probably take 20 to 25 minutes.  A new Cable Car probably runs every 5 to 6 minutes, so you will have several cars running the same route at the same time.  They probably have more running during certain times of the day and less very early morning and late in the evening.  You won't waste time and they are indeed a treasure to ride.  

by goodfish Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 5:15 PM

riorich55 wrote:

Kate, Union Square is up a stop from the turnaround point which is near the BART entrance. 

Yes, I know where it is. We've stayed right on it once. And when I've been by the pick-up point, lines have have been very long. 

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM

goodfish wrote:

Yes, I know where it is. We've stayed right on it once. And when I've been by the pick-up point, lines have have been very long. 

I just wanted to make sure she understook that Union Square was not the turnaround point.  I probably have been lucky with boarding quickly in the many times I've taken the Cable Cars.  One of the best spots to actually get on is up on the Nob Hill corner where all 3 lines intersect.  You can take the California line to that stop, get off and then transfer to one of the two other lines. 

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 5:43 PM

In case you haven't found this website this will give you a little bit more information on the Cable Car routes and costs, etc. http://www.sfcablecar.com/riders.html  I think they still have this Heart in Union Square!

by goodfish Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Right, it's not right at the turnaround point but in a heavily populated tourist area where waiting times can be longer.

To be honest? In our experience the cables are fine as an attraction where you know you're going to wait for them but I wouldn't use them as any sort of primary transport. On multiple trips we've used them no more than twice as the lines were long or they were full at points we might have used them. But we're big walkers so we'd rather do that than stand in line; everyone's different!

If you're really concerned about walking or waiting, I'd take a cab from from your hotel to the restaurant.

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 5:59 PM

goodfish wrote:
    Right, it's not right at the turnaround point but in a heavily populated tourist area where waiting times can be longer.

To be honest? In our experience the cables are fine as an attraction where you know you're going to wait for them but I wouldn't use them as any sort of primary transport. On multiple trips we've used them no more than twice as the lines were long or they were full at points we might have used them. But we're big walkers so we'd rather do that than stand in line; everyone's different!

If you're really concerned about walking or waiting, I'd take a cab from from your hotel to the restaurant.

Agree, they are not a main transport and in fact tourists probably make up most of the people riding them, but you've got to ride them at least once while you are there.  Again cresting the hill on the Powell-Hyde line going down to the Wharf and seeing the bay is and always has been an exhilerating experience for me and I've done it probably at least a dozen times.

By the way Kate (goodfish) and I are good VT friends.  We've actually met here in Chicago 2 years ago when we had a big VT meeting.  She's like another little sister (I have one younger sister).  In fact I probably talk more on line with Kate then I do my own real sister. 

by schl301 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 6:16 PM

that's awesome that you are friends! how fun. I've done a lot of traveling but quite a few of them I sat my a.. on the beach and ate and drank! we still travel to the beach with our grown kids but getting more into seeing the sites when its just myself and hubby

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 7:59 PM

schl301 wrote:
    that's awesome that you are friends! how fun. I've done a lot of traveling but quite a few of them I sat my a.. on the beach and ate and drank! we still travel to the beach with our grown kids but getting more into seeing the sites when its just myself and hubby

That is the side benefit of this VT site.  A lot of the members have met each other somewhere down the line.  We had a VT meeting here in Chicago back in 2011 and about 30 members attended from as far away as London, some from Canada, Florida, California, etc.  We had activities for the group for the weekend.  Not everybody attended everything, but we had a chance to meet people we've met online.  I've met members on our last European trip and my wife and I had a 4 hour lunch in Paris and a farewell dinner in a London pub.   The picture is part of our group meeting on Friday night in Chicago in front of our famous "Bean"  

by goodfish Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Haha - yes, we are friends, and the VT meet in Chicago was great fun!

I'll agree with Rich that every visitor to the City By The Bay should hop the cable cars at least once! Just don't stress about it, OK? If you have to wait a bit, it's no biggie. You'll have a marvelous time - SF is such a fun city!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM

After all that advice, I am sure they will have a marvelous time. :-)

by schl301 Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 6:35 AM

ATXtraveler wrote:
    I love Fish & Farm over in that area! 339 Taylor

fish and farm is just around the corner from the hotel.   that could be a good option.  the menu doesnt look very extensive but sometmes online they don't show the whole menu

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines