San Francisco Travel Answers

change location

Identify This Restaurant

by hosedagain Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Good day, Hoping someone can help me identify the restaurant  pictured here, not sure this link will work   tinypic.com/r/1zyx07/6&n...">tinypic.com/r/1zyx07/6&n...; It was taken in 1966 when I last visited San Fransciso.I believe it was taken near Fishermans Wharf, Market St, Hyde St. Powell St ? Not really sure. Just wondering if it still in business? if so what is its location. I will visiting the area this summer and would like to take an up to date picture..

Thanks

Ron

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Identify This Restaurant

by xymmot Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Probably not, the wharf area change so much on theme restaurant. The bread Boudin is still there and expanded, and the small restaurants around the wharf change little because they have a monopoly. The restaurant that you went to looks like it was on a city block and since 66 I never saw a place like that when I went there last.

cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 6:30 AM

I believe that's a streetcar stop sign right in front of the shot and it looks like streetcar rails, so that would probably be Hyde. You could tell about where that was if you knew which direction you're facing (since it's going uphill to the right).

I love that we have photos in forum threads now!

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 7:37 AM

It was Bernstein's Fish Grotto located on Powell Street. It closed in 1981.

2 members found this helpful

• Re: Identify This Restaurant

by hosedagain Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM

yvr wrote: It was Bernstein's Fish Grotto located on Powell Street. It closed in 1981.

I believe you are right, the sign over the door I can barely make out "Grotto"  to bad it isn't  in business anymore, would have been fun to visit again after 47 years, Oh well...

Thanks to all for their help.

Ron ,

• Re: Identify This Restaurant

by hosedagain Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Googled the restaurant, was located at 123 Powell which is now a Walgreen. Google came up with some photos and post cards of the front.

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 1:21 AM

hosedagain wrote: Yes, it was quite a place, the huge wood hull sticking out from the entrance, too bad most of the old landmark restaurants are not around anymore.

1 member found this helpful

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM

hosedagain wrote:

Googled the restaurant, was located at 123 Powell which is now a Walgreen. Google came up with some photos and post cards of the front.

By the way that Walgreens was closed when I was there a month or so ago, it is being completely redmodeled.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Phil- Great memory and I remember the restaurant as well. Very popular with the tourists. They had some great clam chowder but the real draw was the outside of the building.

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

TooTallFinn24 wrote:
    Phil- Great memory and I remember the restaurant as well. Very popular with the tourists. They had some great clam chowder but the real draw was the outside of the building.

I use to go by there all the time, and was fascinated by the shipts hull, but I never ate there, I always thought too touristy, I use to have clam chowder at the original  A.Sabella's at the wharf, it was a great restaurant before it had the fire. It had boths and tables and was a comfortable place to eat, but after the fire it became too glitzy, what a shame, and now of course it is gone.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines